Smoking Salmon

If you can get a hold of some dried corn cobs, works really well. Its a light smoke and not overpowering. An old native american shared that with me.

Speaking of corncobs, is it practical to save the leftover cobs from grilled corn and air-dry them at room temperature, then bag them until smoking a salmon? Or will they likely get moldy?

Or put them in a low oven for several hours?

Rita

I have never used sweet corn cobs as I can usually get a few cobs of my deer bait pile. Try a local feed store sometimes they have bags of corn cob for like $3.00 a you can feed the corn kernals to birds or other critters. I don't know about oven dryin them it may smoke up your house.

Thanks, Gary. I'll check my yellow pages for surrounding counties. The last time I saw a feed store in Atlanta was about 30 years ago.
icon_smile.gif

Rita

I go to a great feed/tack store down near McDonough but that's kind of a drive for you. There around up your way though.

Alternatively, though I don't dry corn cobs that I've cooked I have dried many ears from which I've cut the kernels. The low oven method I'd recommend (halve or third the cobs first and place them directly on the grates or on racks on sheetpans). It is important to remove as much moisture as possible fairly quickly (relative to just air-drying) to minimize spoilage or mold growth.

That's what I was looking for. I'll check my Yellow pages, but meanwhile will try the oven method for drying cut-up, stripped cobs. I have a "dehydrate/proof" setting on my oven which might work. Don't like the "proof" setting though - too warm, too quick. I might freeze a bunch of cut-up cobs before doing them all at once.

Interesting: The Feed Store, Atlanta is a restaurant. Googling for "feed store" Atlanta brings up Atlanta, Texas. I'll keep looking.

Thanks!
Rita

After smoking salmon...clean your grates and clean them a second time. The last time I had salmon in the wsm I could smell it for a while....

When I used to smoke salmon I would lay the fillets on a piece of foil. Then trim to the edge of the fish. When I removed the foil the skin came off with it. No muss, no fuss. It also helped with the cleaning of the grates.

Foil is definately the easiest method. Smoke has a hard time penetrating the tough skin of a salmon, so foil is not going to create much more of a barrier than what is already there.

Try the brined appetizer-style recipe on this website. It's simple and the results are outstanding!

Back