smoking salmon

Big and Little Griff's I completely agree. Wild salmon is the way to go. There really is no comparision in texture and taste. I was in alaska a few years and we brought back plenty of wild salmon, halibut, smoked salmon etc... Ever since then it has only been wild salmon for me! I have smoked farm raised and wild salmon in the same cook before. I prepared them both exactly the same. Same brine, same seasoning, same cooking time as so on. I served them both chilled that evening for an appitizer for my family. The wild salmon was gone in minutes and my mom was asking what the diffence in the recipe were because they both tasted so different. The farm raised salmon tasted great as well but you really get spolied after tasting the wild.

I hear ya loud and clear. I'll see if there is some place around here that I can get some fresh so I can do a comparison. I'm gonna be honest though, I'm not going to hold my breath. There's not too many fresh fish markets in grand rapids. Do you happen to know if sam's or costco carries fresh?

I love wild salmon, but only get to fish for it at about this time every year (unfortunately, no trips planned as of yet).

As an aside, there is a farmer's market near me in Davis (CA). There is a stand there where fisherman come in with fresh salmon every saturday. But you pay for it...$21/lb is the going rate!
icon_eek.gif
At those prices, I think it's worth it to go and get on a party boat and catch (and smoke) your own.

Well, at 15.95 its better then 21.00, but still a wee bit prohibitive. I'm going to keep my eye out and hope to find some at a reasonable price. Then, I'll just have to talk the wife into it: "Oh, c'mon honey, I know it costs $15.00 lb, but it'll be good. I promise." I promise you, I'm gonna get one of those "roll of the eyes" thingies.

Back