Smoking my first venison loin

CaseyMcC

TVWBB Member
To water pan or not to water pan? I will be bacon wrapping and have had it marinating for 12 hours. I have never really dealt with something so lean. Will I need the extra moisture? Thanks in advance.

I always grill them and serve them rare to medium rare. I don't know that they'll benefit from low and slow because there is no fat to render.
I was playing it safe with my 1st one. I did not want to dry it out, as it was my 12 year old nephew's 1st buck. It turned out great. I just finished the last of it for lunch today as cold cuts. It was still soft and moist enough to cut with a fork. The bacon wrap was probably unnecessary, as it never got hot enough to crisp it up. Next time, I will give hot & fast though. Thanks Rick

I was playing it safe with my 1st one. I did not want to dry it out, as it was my 12 year old nephew's 1st buck. It turned out great. I just finished the last of it for lunch today as cold cuts. It was still soft and moist enough to cut with a fork. The bacon wrap was probably unnecessary, as it never got hot enough to crisp it up. Next time, I will give hot & fast though. Thanks Rick
It was the bacon that worried me at those low and slow temps. To get bacon done on the outside of the another protein there needs to be higher heat. I am glad to hear it went well though.

Back