Smoking in the Snow - First time for Turkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Rockwood

TVWBB Fan
Well... It's the Friday after Thanksgiving. We had Thanksgiving at my sister-in-law's and now I find myself with no leftovers. So, I fired up my WSM and I'm about half-way into smoking up an 8lb, bone-in turkey breast.

The WSM is holding steady at about 325, coming down from 350.

I used 1 full chimney of lit charcoal briquettes, and dumped another chimney full of unlit on top. I threw in some small pieces of hickory twigs, About, 6 "pencils" worth.

I applied my general purpose spice mix to the turkey. I'm running with an empty waterpan.

I'm thinking it'll take about 2.5-3hrs to cook to an internal of 160*.

AND IT'S SNOWING here in Central Mass. I took some pictures and as soon as I figure out how best to post them, I'll have them available later.

I took the turkey breast off after 3.5hrs and an internal temp of 165. I sliced off each side in one piece and then laying it flat, carved up some nice thick turkey steaks. Mild smoke flavor... and really juicy.

Here are some pics, if interested.
smokin' in da' snow

Picture one shows my WSM, surrounded 3sides by a wind block. The flag in background is good representation of the wind.

Picture three shows the temp. It held steady there for the entire cook.

Picture four is the turkey after 2hrs.

Picture five is the finished product. The skin wasn't crispy, but that wasn't an issue for us. I suppose I could have run it hotter to crisp it up some. I'd say I had the bottom drafts open equally at 1/3 open for the entire time.

Jim Minion - Thanks! I'll keep that in mind for Christmas when I'm planning to smoke a whole one.

Thanks to my wife for making the pictures available online.

Yes, thanks for the pics Mike.

Looks like you had everything in place to battle the elements. I'll probably never have the opportunity to cook in that type of weather in AZ.
Did you have a blast or what?

Yeah - it was fun! That's why I figure I'd take the pics and share them.

As long as you can eliminate a majority of the wind, smoking in the cold shouldn't be an issue. It was in the high 20's when I took the pics. With the vents only 1/3 open, I could have run at a higher temp if I needed to. There was quite a bit of un-used charcoal at the end of it, which I'll save for the next time.

I've smoked in the rain before, with a tarp hung up over the smoker. In the first picture, you can see the "rafters" that come from my house out across the deck. For the summer, we hang "umbrella" material the length of the deck for shade. I can hang a tarp from the same rafters this time of year, if need be.

It was more of a prolonged flurry so there wasn't any constant running of water into the WSM. Most flakes were melting/drying on contact. We got about an inch total, through the afternoon.

You'll to head to Flagstaff with your WSM when there's snow in the forecast for a taste of it.

For sure, Flag would certainly be a challenge. We occasionally get a dusting in Cave Creek, but it doesn't stay on the ground for long.
This Thanksgiving weekend we've had on and off rain from Baja, warm tropical stuff. I've been in shorts for the last three days. Bet ya can't say that? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I didn't get to cook the bird this holiday, lots of traveling involved. Maybe Christmas.

Have a good rest of the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back