Smoking in a thunder storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sean Flanagan:
I've seen this shape on other steel products, so it must be possible. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have constructed shapes such as you describe. It's a simple thing to do on a sheet metal brake with flat material. To do that around the base circumference of a dome would be rather more complex and beyond anything I have ever attempted. I am trying to imagine the tooling that would be required for mass production and it starts to get expensive quickly.

The only way I can think of pulling something like that off in an economical way would be to spot weld on a flange to form sort of a rain hood (the lower h part), but that would add several steps, and additional cost, to the manufacturing process. Not only that, but the spot welds increase the quality control costs. Maybe one of you has an in to Weber to make such a suggestion? If each unit cost $20 more would you buy it? How about $50? How much more would you pay to BBQ in a rainstorm?

Come November the rainy season starts again here in Sacramento. Until then, it's kind of a moot point for me. But I do have a screen-walled tent/gazebo that might work pretty well (I think I spent $50 at Wal-Mart). I have used it for grilling in stormy weather. It has a 9' peak and is about 14' in diameter. The screen does a pretty good job of blocking the raindrops, but I think it would also allow adequate ventilation. There are two zipper doors that can be opened if it gets too smokey.

Help me out here . . .

The "center section has an "h" pattern on the top. Stamped, what ever. Why can't the dome have the same thing but modified with what Sean described?

Sorry, guys ~ Electronics is my background...

Past midnight ~ Bedtime /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif But seriously, . . . . .

Regardless of what Weber does in the future, we must figure out a way to keep the rain out with the WSM's we currently have. I was thinking of drilling a series of holes around the bottom part of the lip that the lid sits in, then the water would have somewhere to go other than into the WSM. Of course I would paint the holes I drilled to prevent rusting. What do you guys think? Am I crazy? Or do you think it may work?

I'm thinking of a ring that would act as an eve or overhang to slip on top of lid. It would stick out a couple of inches and at horizontal - 30 degrees angle, position it a couple of inches from the bottom of the lid. Rain would run off and not be able to get into the lid groove to become a problem. It would need to fit tightly to work. A permanent mod might be ok if not too obnoxious, or it could be an accessory to use when needed.

What I'm trying to figure out is a suitable material. Some sort of flexible high temp plastic or rubber would be great for the accessory approach, metal could be ok for either depending.

Any comments or can anyone offer materials suggestions on this approach? Have you been there tried it, and failed horribly?

Maybe this is more complicated than it needs to be.

The dome temp is only 250 degrees or so and the combustion temp for cotton is 400-500 degrees or maybe higher. How about taking a 4-5" strip out of an old t-shirt torso and stretch it (well mine would have to stretch) around the area of the seam. Any water running down the dome would wick out and drip below top of the center section.

Remove it temporarily to inspect, rotate, mop, or gaze lovingly at your progress.

Just a thought.

** Update **
Flash temp for Cotton is 420C/788F. Higher than I generally cook. Not to mention that, when wet, it won't get above the boiling point of the water.

It just might work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Maybe this is more complicated than it needs to be. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Naw, Brain Storming is a good thing!

Enjoyed the debate last night, guys /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

This is another good use for the Silver Bullet Smoking Jacket. I only use it during the rain in the spring/summer/fall or during windy conditions. In the winter, it's used for every cook.
Ed

Personally I move the unit to the apron of my garage and strageically place three fans to "direct" the smoke of of the garage itself. However my garage does smell like a smokehouse even when the VWB is not in use. Still I never have any saftey problems be it CO2 or fire, ect.

The foil that I rolled and stuffed into the joint between the lid and mid section worked very well at keeping the water out. It was cheap and something that can be done right before a storm hits. I wish I had taken pictures.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back