Smoking in 100 + degree heat

Hello to all of my smoking buddies.
I remember reading here a while back about cooking in temps over 100 degrees. I liked the response from the fella in Australia saying he could cook it he wanted to cook when it below 100. Well today in Denver at one point was 105, right now at 4:35PM it is 100 degress. My smoker has been going since about 12:10 with 4 rack of ribs and for about an hour and a half I had 5 sausages going. The sausages came out perfect and the ribs will be ready in just about 30 minutes or so. They look great. So just to say that it's not that bad cooking out there in over 100 degree heat.
Pat

It was sitting in full sun until about 4:00. So yes, it did stay quite warm. I had to shut all the vents below just to get it to go below 240. I am thinking of buying one of those ez up tents just so I can have shade to get the temps down. I have to use my deck to cook on which is in full sun most of the day. I usually try to keep the temp around 230 at the lid. While the smoker was going I was also at the Weber Genesis grill cooking some jalapeno poppers and roasting some pablano peppers for burgers later in the week.
Pat

Patrick,
I had 6 racks of back ribs going in downtown Denver yesterday. All went well, had the lid dialed between 240 and 250 with vents mostly open. The only thing that got hot was the chicken I grilled on the gasser.

What a scorcher. At least the beer was cold!

I am planning on starting some buckboard bacon this afternoon about 3 or so in the WSM. It is 94 degrees here right now at 10 in the morning and supposed to be 98 - 100 this afternoon. The wife and kids wants some steak for supper since I am cooking anyway, so I will have the kettle fired up as well. I do have some shade and a ceiling fan and lots of cold beer, so I should be ok I hope.

Randy

As I've said on the Board before, many just don't believe it can be literally too hot to cook outside - but it can down here in my neck of the woods. We don't have signifcant relief till October. For us its not a heat wave that will break - just another long, hot, humid summer.

Paul

It is a matter of me surviving more than affecting my cooking here in TN. The humidity is what makes it so bad here, you can't even breathe sometimes it seems like, after being inside for a while.

Randy

Well, today might be the first chance for me to cook in over 100° - the temperature is predicted to reach 102 - a record for the UK! And exhausting when your not used to it - this has been quite a heat wave!

One January morning, I was cleaning my car of snow and ice on a subzero morning. I promised myself not to complain about the heat this summer.

Later, one Feb Sunday morning I was packing a van to go to do a rib/chicken contest. It was 12 degrees that morning. Promised myself again to not complain about the heat this summer.

Cooked last weekend in the heat and humidity, forgot to even consider it was hot. Considering our other extreme...I'll take the heat with a big grin on my face
icon_biggrin.gif

Like all of you said, I'll cook at any temperature. At least we only have about 12% humidity right now. Just bring on the smoke.
Thanks for your input.
Pat

I braved the heat yesterday afternoon into last night and almost forgot it was so hot because I was having so much fun. My polder themo said 102 degrees @ 4:30pm in the shade. I pull the bacon at 10:30 and it was still 87 degrees then.

I Fired the WSM and done some buckboard bacon that had been curing in the fridge, so while I was at it the family wanted supper of course. I had 4 ribeyes on the kettle and fired the Brinkman grille king deluxe with 6 baked taters and 2 beer can chickens. We ate like kings.

I can handle the heat alot better than the cold plus the fact that 6 or 8 cold beers help too!

Randy

If it gets much hotter I will have to put ice in the cooker instead of charcoal. The other day I was looking at the weather, though, and I was glad that I didn't live in a really hot climate like North Dakota or Minneapolis. How do you people survive up there?

I smoked 3 racks of BabyBacks last weekend throughout the afternoon. Outside Temp in the 110's.
Mesa, AZ. I smoke all Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall long.

Back