Smoking hot and fast...

Bill Harvey

TVWBB Super Fan
I probably will be crucified for even suggesting smoking hot and fast but "There's more than one way to skin a cat..."

I have a friend that has won our local barbecue contest three years in a row...He smokes his Boston Butts hot and fast and they literally fall apart and are absolutely delicious... He's using a pull behind cooker...

I've tried this method on my Weber
bullet and was surprised and pleased with the outcome... Cook time on an eight pound Boston butt was around four hours ...

Here's how I did it... I fired the smoker up the standard way... Water pan wrapped in heavy duty tenfold, no water in pan... I let the Kingsford charcoal get hot, all vents were opened all the way... I put four of five pieces of Red Oak on the hot coals, all were about the size of my fist.. I than placed the butt on the top rack for about an hour ... I turned it over and continued cooking hot for about 30 more minutes...

I then removed the butt from the smoker and wrapped it in heavy duty tenfold... I put it back on the top rack and inserted a temperature probe... I continued to cook it hot until the interior temperature reached 190° which took about two hours and 45 minutes ... I removed it from the smokers , wrapped it in a towel and put it in a five-day cooler for about an hour and a half...

It was delicious... moist and falling apart tender... I wouldn't have believed it if I had not tried it myself but it works...

bugg
icon_wink.gif
strange but true

Bill after watching a 'pro' on TV suggest a hot and fast cook, I posed the same question. It is safe to say there is more than one way to get the result you desire.
Most profess low n slow is the way to go. More people do it that way with repeateable and predictable results. That does not mean you can't do equally well cookin hot n fast. But you would be in the minority. Keep us updated with your experiences. There are times when a short cook would be much more convenient....

I am not going to say there is anything wrong with that method. But an hour and a half laying smoke on that puppy just wouldn't be enough smoke on it for me.

Out of curiosity how deep was the smoke ring on it?

Bill,
I'm usually not one to say anything about spelling, but you wrap in tin foil, not tenfoil. Maybe some time ago, it was made of tin and not just pure aluminum like it is today.

LOL...I use a speech-recognition program to compose my writings... Dragon Writer Natural Speaking is the program I use and it normally does a good job... I have been using it for years but always have to go back and check the spelling... Quite frankly I change my mind and I did not intend to post the above... In fact I went back and thought I deleted it... Guess not... Sorry about the spelling problems, we have a definite way of speaking in South Georgia that the program doesn't recognize at times...
icon_redface.gif

CHEERS!!!

bugg
icon_confused.gif
wondering what went wrong

Bill - That is so funny. Before you cleared that up, I just thought that folks in Georgia called it "tenfold." Now I can 'hear' your voice as you dictated it.

I'd imagine that a deep Southern voice would give any speech-recognition software fits. Jeff Foxworthy should use it to add bits to his act.

Tenfold: Virgil, take that tenfold off your head. I need it to wrap that butt.

Jeff and Bill, LOL
icon_biggrin.gif
. I'm from the Northeast I could only imagine how the word "car" would come out

That is so funny! Just like when my Tennessee husband says "pick up that pin," referring to a 6-inch long black object with a point on one end and a clicker on the other.

I've often wondered if Kevin Kruger uses a speech recognition program when he's on the road.
icon_wink.gif

Rita

LOL...
icon_biggrin.gif
I wouldn't use a speech recognition program except my typing is worse than my pronunciation... I've used it so long that I depend on it now...

My deep Southern brouge gives it a fit sometimes...
icon_razz.gif

Hot and fast is the way they cook down in Llano, mitey tasty. I cook my brisket in a home made vertical cooker, kinda like Jim Ball's, 24/30 inches above mesquite coals.....comes out really good......Ed

In the same contest mentioned above, first and third place brisket was cooked using the fast method... Both teams cooked a 14 pound brisket in about five hours...

Second-place brisket cooked for 14 hours in a Weber smoker... I am very familiar with its progress since I cooked it ... LOL
icon_biggrin.gif

There were 15 teams in the contest... First, second, and third-place overall winners use the fast method of cooking...

My next attempt at fast cooking will be a brisket on the Weber bullet...

In regards to smoke, I did not notice a lot of difference in the smoke taste on the butt I cooked fast... Its my understanding (I may stand corrected) that most of your smoke gets in the meat up to 140° meat temperature which is at the start of your cook...

Please understand I'm not advocating one method against the other. I just did not realize that you could break down the collagen in meat cooking fast. I honestly thought in order to cook a tough piece of meat tender it had to be slow...
icon_confused.gif
I now know that's NOT TRUE...

bugg
icon_smile.gif
wishing everyone a Merry Christmas or a Wonderful Holiday Season...

buttsonkettle.jpg

Kruess Meat market is reported in "Legends of Texas BBQ" a great book to cook @ 600F. I like to grill butts and I've seen folks with a lot more trophies than I cook their butts in the fire box of an offset at a little contest in Lynchburg, TN.

Back