Smoking Hams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Hilmer

TVWBB Super Fan
I just got my WSM 1 week ago. Have not used it yet. I was using a Brinkman for the last few months, borrowed it from a friend to see if I would enjoy smoking foods. I want to start with smoking some pre-cooked Hams this weekend. I will try the 2 glazes mentioned and maybe a few others. I will try to get 4 aprox same size and weight. I have read the web site ham info. Any body have glazes they like? I can tell how much better the WSM is built, I am real excited to smoke this weekend!!

I like this one:
Glazing Sauce:
? cup brown sugar
? cup maple syrup (use dark grade B real maple syrup if available)(dark grade B has more flavor than grade A)
? cup honey
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 – 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp instant coffee granules (use a good brand because it makes a difference)
1 Tbsp dry ground mustard
2 Tbsp orange juice concentrate (a good brand provides better flavor)
Blend all ingredients in a sauce pan with a wire whip and heat slightly until everything combines into a viscous or thick looking sauce.
Jim

Thanks. I will try this weekend and let ya Know... Reminds me of a "Red Eye Steak", Ham Slices cooked in coffee or with grinds or both, served with Eggs et.

Could someone help me with questions on smoking hams? Most hams in the store are pre-cooked, smoked, and have a cure. Is this what people are smoking? If not, what is the cut of meat or type of ham? I've heard of "green" hams or "fresh" hams that are not cured or cooked-this is what I would like to get to smoke, but no one carries them where I live. Someone suggested a pork shoulder that has not been pre-cooked or cured as giving the same result. Any thoughts? thanks muchly.

The recipe above was based on using a already smoked ham but I've also used it on fresh hams and like the results a lot. There is a difference in flavor because there was no cure.
I would use a picnic if not getting a ham.
Jim

J. Koehler,

See Ham Selection & Preparation for info on selecting hams for cooking in the WSM.

Most of us are doing cured hams in the WSM. If doing a "ready to eat" ham, you're just warming it in the WSM plus adding smoke. If doing a "ready to cook" ham, you're cooking it plus adding smoke.

You can smoke a fresh/green ham. It will not have the color, texture, or taste of a cured ham.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back