Smoking/Grilling a Chicken this weekend I need some input.

Bill W.

TVWBB Member
I have a 4+ lb. roaster that I want to cook up and I'm not sure how to cook it. I want to have tender tasty meat, a crispy skin, and a smokey flavor. I found a recipe for a Mediterranean style chicken that called for being cooked slow n low. I also found a different recipe that cooks the chicken at 500 degrees. Its claim to fame is that the skin comes out really good. Whatever recipe I use I plan on brining the bird for at least 12 hours and then I'll let it dry out overnight.

Can I use the WSM and get a steady 500 degrees? If I use lump and some Cherry chunks will I get a smokey flavor at 500 degrees? Is there a better way to do this?

500 is too high, imo, for a bird that size for the whole cook. My suggestion: Separate the skin from the breast gently.Brine and dry as you've planned.Put some rub or herbs mixed with butter on the breast meat under the skin. Apply the rest of your rub all over. Use plenty of lump and get it going good. Assemble the smoker--you should have temps 450+--good. Toss in your cherry; put the bird on. The temps will drop. Leave the vents alone for 5-10 min while the temps climb to over 400 then close your bottom vents partially. Try to maintain 375-400. Only tent the bird with foil during resting (15-20 min), don't wrap it tightly.

I was a bit rushed when I wrote the above. I've re-read and am adding this edit: What I mean to say is that what I try for after the bird goes on is for the temp to climb over 400--preferably well over, so nothing in the pan--which I leave alone for 5-10 min. Then I close the vents a bit (50% or so depending on how much fuel I've got going) so the temps back off to the 375-400 range. This takes a little while so that--I hope--the bird gets 20 min or so of high temps. If it goes longer than that, I look to lower my temps closer to 375 or even as low as 350.
Btw, with smaller poussins and game hens I'll do the high temps for the whole cook.

Bill,

I would stick a half full beer can up it's butt
rub down with vegetable oil, add your favorite spice.
Put on your favorite grill/gasser cook at med
heat for 1 1/4 hour and enjoy!!
Crispy/tender/moist

Cheers

If you do not get high enough temps...or the skin is not as crisp as you like...you can always pop it in a 450* oven for a few min. just to get the crispness you desire.

Thanks for the input guys. I ended up not doing it at all. I got home and the wife had already put the bird in the oven. Doh! Oh well maybe next time.

Bill, next time you get hold of a chicken, this is always fun to do... cut the ends off of a lemon and hollow out the pulp. Stuff the lemon "shell" with butter and some garlic, and slip the lemon shells under the skin into... uh... proper position, shall we say? Makes the white meat nice and moist with a delicious lemony sparkle, but caution is advised - this presentation can cause spontaneous outbreaks of snorts and giggles. The bird on the left is thus endowed, and the bird on the right is just jealous. I got this idea from jarby over on the BBQ forum some time back.

Mvc-249s_small.jpg

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Hey Keri,

You've just given new definition to the words "breast meat" Ha! Thanks for the grin you put on my face.... and if you did this to a hen, I can't imagine what you would do to a capon!

Ray

Back