smoking green peppers?

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
Anyone ever smoked green peppers?

It's a long story but I just had a bunch of *green*
jalapenos, poblanos, anaheims, and serranos shipped to me from Arizona.

I'm pretty sure the serranos will come out ok green but have never heard of smoking the others, let alone while they're green.

Anyone have any thoughts here?

Gotta do it Friday or Saturday as I'm about to start traveling.

I may just decide to roast and stuff the poblanos.

I smoke green, orange, red peppers and jalapenos regularly. They taste great, with intensified flavor. Event better with a few drop of good balsamic vinegar on each piece.

Gosh Rob, I've got an overabundance of habaneros. I've got to ship some of these off, no way I can use them all. So far, I've only used them fresh. When smoking them, can you then freeze for later use?

Jane,
I've been smoking habaneros for the last few years. I usually store them in a freezer bag in the refrigerator, and they keep just fine. I see no reason that they couldn't be frozen as well.
Jim

Yes, you can smoke green peppers. But green jalapenos take much longer than red, since the walls are thicker and take a lot longer to dry out. To speed it up, you could cut it in half, or at least make sure you make a slit in the pepper so it releases moisture faster.

Of course you could also do a combination of smoke drying and drying in a dehydrator.

Jane - an abundance of habaneros... What a wonderful problem to have! Yes, you can freeze them. I'd freeze half, then smoke the other half. Freeze them in individual portions. once thawed they lose their shape and color a bit. They are great in pastes or any use where you cook them.

Thanks gang.

I'll be smoking 'em up tomorrow.

So what do you think about smoking the poblanos and anaheims?

Back