smoking chicken

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi all,
Yes I'm new to smoking, but a beginner will not be able to answer my question ... and my father smoked all our smoke products in a drum cold smoker) when he was alive, so I've been around it smoking for some time. Now my question.

When is smoked chicken ready?

I smoked the brined chicken, bone in thighs in the weber kettle with an internal temp of 80 -120 centegrade (around the 180 to 250F) for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. At this point the juices all ran clear but a meat themometer showed only around 65C (150F) not the required 85C (185F).

Next day when cut, all the meat was white and the only pinkish coulour was near or at the the bone joint. It looked thoroughly cooked.

Question ... Is this safe to eat?

Thanks for any information on the subject ... hate to get sick eating my chicken!!!

Rita

180 is commercial requirements, not home. You're safe, I believe at 165, however I cook chicken to 175. There's always some "reddish" looking meat...just eat it, it should be fine if your inial temps were good.

Remember also, as stated many times, just like eggs, if you eat a piece of chicken that's not exactly up to temp. you're not gonna die...probably not even notice it, as it had to have been contaminated in the first place. The odds are very low (depending on where you get the meat)

Happy Q'ing to you and the next generation!!!

Thanks for the reply guys!!

I ate some chicken - (still feeling OK after 6 hours) it looked OK to me, but was wondering about the temp. I think the internal meat temp must have dropped a bit by the time I took it, as the cooking air temp after 3 1/2 hours had dropped to 175F (getting good at coverting C to F and back again:-) ) thus lowering the temp of the meat, but for 3 hours it had been around 100 -130 C) - about 250F. Very moist tender white smoked meat with beautiful golden skin:-)

I had already read the section on cooking etc and have done a stack of research on both cold and hot smoking, brining and hard curing. Wouldn't think of asking questions until doing the research! When it comes to food ... I would like to be sure about it before putting it in my mouth.

Next I'm going to have a try at real pastrami!! Hope that is as good as the chicken and the gypsy ham.

Rita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back