Smoking Brats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich B.

I could use some advice on smoking Bratwurst. How long and at what temp? I have never smoked sausage. Would you use a higher temp like when you do chicken?

Thanks, I overlooked Chris's Step by Step. Didn't see it.
icon_razz.gif

I assume we're talking about smoke cooking fresh bratwurst here. For consuming them, though, I prefer they see some time both on the grill and in the onion hot tub.

Thanks for the clarification Doug. I was worried that I might have to report someone to the child welfare authorities.
icon_smile.gif

I did a search and read about the beer Jacuzzi. I think I am going to give that a go. Sounds great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruce Bissonnette:
Just remember...any recipe that begins, "Now open two beers..." can't be all that bad. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> ADD ONE STICK OF BUTTER
icon_biggrin.gif
Getting better all the time Bruce
icon_razz.gif

My family likes "Brat Boats". Slit the brat lengthwise not quite end-to-end. Stuff the slit with kraut tossed with ketchup, chopped onion, mutard, etc. Smoke for about 2 hours, easy on the wood.

This recipe came from the booklet that was included with my old ECB and our family has been enjoying it for 10+ years now.

George,

Yes. Cut a slit in the raw brat and use your findgers to work it into sort of a pocket. Then stuff the brat with kraut. I usually mix in some ketchup, brown mustard, chopped onion, and beer with the kraut in whatever proportion seems right. Kind of flatten the whole thing so that you can set the brat on the grate with the pocket remaining in the upright position. Smoke for a couple of hours and that's it. Fresh sausage seems to really take on smoke, so go easy on the wood.

Tony, thank you so much. I have looked at many different ways to cook brats but this amazing. This will be supper tomorrow at my house!!!

Tony, I did try that method last weekend and a million thanks again, they were amazing. I only think I may add a touch more smoke as I was gunshy doing this the first time with the brats.

BTW the beer hot tub works well with just about anything. I had left over hamburgers last night, re-heated them on the gasser, then threw them in a beer hot tub mixed with BBQ sauce. Ate 2 burgers and only 1 pulled pork sandwich! They were great!!

Nick P.

I'm coming in a little late here, but I just smoked my first brats this past weekend.

-I soaked them in beer, some hot sauce and onions all night.

-Smoked them on the WSM till the internal temperature was around 165-170.

-Sliced them up and served them to snack on for lunch.

-I had 4 different sauces. (Honey Mustard, Horshradish sauce, orange BBQ, Bone suckin sauce) Hands down everyone loved the honey mustard sauce the best, with the orange BBQ sauce 2nd.

They were good, but I'm not a sausage fan so I don't have a discriminating taste for this sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back