Smoking Boneless/Skinless Chicken thighs question?

Duane Riggs

TVWBB Member
I will have the gasser tied up doing burgers and dogs Tuesday.

I have already done ribs, butts, salmon and brisket several times this year and kind of want something different.

I have not done chicken on WSM and want to give some B/S chicken thighs a try.

Can I put thighs on both grates or just one?

I might just load the the bottom grate with thighs and save the top grate for some ABT's.

If I want to keep the temp dowm not to overcook the ABT's will it still be safe for the chicken?

Yes to both.
icon_smile.gif

Kevin

What would be a good target temp and time for the chicken on bottom and ABT's on top?

I like to keep the ABT's at a lower temp when possible to keep the cheese from running everywhere.

What temp do you currently use for ABTs? A lower temp (within reason) is fine for thighs--they'll just take longer.

Are you planning on serving both at the same time? ABTs first? If the latter, you can crank the heat after the ABTs come off--if you wish. Or, you can smoke the chicken with the ABTs (go light on the wood!) then when you remove the ABTs remove the chicken to a pan of warm sauce. Put the pan back on the cooker and up the heat a bit. Eat the ABTs; pull the chicken when done. If you want more lag time between ABTs and chicken you can pan/sauce and keep the heat on the low side. The pan/sauce modulates the heat and the finish, allowing lots of time flexibility, but you can do the thighs without if you prefer. Just temp or check by feel so they don't overcook and remove when done. Cover with foil to hold for a bit if you're not quite ready for them. I'd recommend brining or marinating. (If brining, oil lightly before rubbing.)

Thanks Kevin.

I have thought about marinating the the thighs in Louisianna brand Wildly Wicked Wing sauce.
Then Rub and smoke. And then hold them in BBQ sauce till dinner time. I was kind of wanting a hot sweet effect.

Mike

ABT's = Atomic Buffalo Turds

Briefly they are Jalepeno peppers that are stuffed with cream cheese mix of your choice and some BBQ rub. Wrap a piece of bacon around them and smoke on the WSM. They are great.

By the way, where are you in Indiana. I am about half way between Indy and Louisville.

Back