Smoking beef eye round?

It's pretty lean, so cooking low and slow may not benefit it.

I used to cook them on the kettle at 350, took off when temps were low 120's, then sliced razor thin on a meat slicer for sandwiches.

It's pretty tough meat to slice thick.

I had some before that was done on the smoker, but at higher temps, and like Craig said, sliced very thin. It made really good sammies. I don't think low/slow is the way to go with this cut, but never tried it to know for sure.

Hi Bill
Just finished doing my first eye of round roast, and here is how it went.

The whole roast was brined for three days in a simple vegatable brine:

covered with grape seed oil and italian herbs, then placed on my WSM and slow roasted for 8 hrs, until I had an internal temp of 155 degrees.

The roast came out juicy, well done and quite tender.

Brine:

1 gal clean filtered water
1 large onion, quartered
3 stalks celery, chunked
1 large carrot washed, but not peeled, chunked
3 bay leaves
1 cup coarse salt (kosher or sea)
1 cup turbo sugar or brown sugard
3 04 4 garlic cloves crushed
1 T of peppercorns

Bring to the boil unitl onions are soft, strain and let cool to room temp. Store in fridge until needed.

I placed the roast in a large food saver bag, then 3/4 filled the bag with brine, then sealed the bag, did not remove any air. Place in my fridge and turned every 8 hrs for the three days.

Before putting on the smoker, I rubber grape seed oil all over the roast then covered with dried italian herbs (store bought)

Onto the smoker for an 8 hour cook at 225 until the internal temperature was 150 to 155. I tented for 15 minutes then cut into the middle.

This is the results:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j90/JFRoss/SmokedEyeofRound.jpg

Back