Smoking a Turkey -

Mike Batsarisakis

TVWBB Super Fan
I having been cooking a 12 pound turkey for 2 hours now and I can't get the temp over 290. It is 25 degrees out and windy. I used 2 chimneys, one lit and the other ulit. But wouldn't the wind cause the temp to increase? Any thoughts on this? Please advise. Thanks. Mike

Mike,

It has been my experience that the wind draws heat out. Do you have a way to block the wind?

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n....too many choices!
Gary

No...I have nothing to block the wind at this point or at least not willing to put up a screen which will most likley blow away. I think I going to pull it off and throw it in the oven to finish it off.

The wind will suck the heat out.

I would close the vent(s) facing the wind, turn the smoker door away from the wind as well.

Not much else you can do except add more lit.

Did you allow the second (unlit) chimney to become fully lit before assembling the cooker and starting to cook?

Yes I did. I also added some additional unlit on top at least twice, about 1/4 weber chimney. On the second add on. I also added a few pieces of lump and one additional piece of oak wood.

If it was 25° and still, I would have said just prop the door open a half inch. Previous posters are correct-- the wind is your enemy.

Stven P: that looks like a good idea with the windscreen!

Mike B: not trying to insult you, but your water pan was empty, correct?

Damn... that is an awesome backyard. I live in the desert so if I had a yard that size I wouldn't be able to afford the water bill to keep it green
icon_smile.gif

As for the windbreak I was thinking of getting some of that 4' reflectix (sp?) and wrap tight around the wsm with velcro, like a jacket, or something so it doesn't move around and it also keeps it warm
icon_smile.gif
Since its 4' it can cover the entire wsm... but you would need to put some type of access doors so you can open and close the vents without taking it completely off.. I have something in mind but its hard to explain.

Yes, the water pan was empty. I'm gonna chalk this one up to the wind. I'll do another turkey smoke on a windless day to determine if other variables are at play.

Thanks to all.

Back