Smoking a pork loin?

Donny Anderson

TVWBB Super Fan
Can you smoke a pork loin to the same effect of smoking a butt? I have a buddy who is doing his first smoke on a non-WSM's maiden voyage. I think he is jumping in the deep end, but I am trying to be supportive and offer what guidance I can. His butcher told him that he the smaller cut (5 lb.) will cook quicker than a BB, but to the same effect. His intent is to pull it, like a BB. I've never had loin any way indirect on the grill and sliced. Am I in the dark on this one?
He is also doing a couple racks of BB ribs, which I am comfortable in offering guidance.

Pork loin is too lean to pull and will dry out. Cooking them indirect is the best way IMO. I think the USDA suggests cooking them to 160* but I like to cook mine to 145* internal temp.

I would think you would want to do a pork loin on high direct heat to sear the outside and keep the juices in, similar to a steak.

A pork loin does not have the connective tissue of a pork butt. Slow or fast, once it gets to 140-150, you are done. Unlike a pork butt which will fall apart with longer cooking, a pork loin will get tougher(like a steak). You really can't pull a pork loin.

BB= Baby Backs??
BB= Boston Butt??

My current method of choice is to cook indirect to 125-130, then rest tented for 10-15 minutes.

Then I slice the loin into chops and finish then direct for charring and sometimes a coat of sauce or glaze.

Sorry Kris - I do sear (as most here probably do) first then finish cooking indirect.
Sorry Russell - I did overboard on the B's didn't I?
Thanks for the scoop on the chances to achieve desired results. Doesn't look good for my friend. Hopefully, I can sway him to cook a BB instead (Boston Butt shorthand)
icon_wink.gif

Thanks Donny - I still sear steaks at the beginning, but that's probably in part from habit, and partly because I like to get the grill marks on them, then cook over more moderate heat until they're done to my liking.

I have gravitated towards "reverse sear" on most everything thing else that gets grilled indirectly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Donny Anderson:

BOARD POSTERS MAKE NOTE - A GATOR FAN AND A VOL FAN COEXISTING IN A CIVILIZED MANNER! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_smile.gif

Hey Donny,
I actually smoked a 2lb boneless loin last weekend. I smoked it at about 260-270 for a couple hours until it hit 145, and then threw it in the oven at 500 for 5 minutes to brown. I can honestly say that this was the best cut of loin I've ever eaten. I had never prepared one this way before......I had always done them on a grill at a higher temp, searing initially and then going indirect the rest of the way. I used Chris A's orange juice marinade from the cooking topics section, linked HERE.
You really can't take a loin to 190 and then pull, so hopefully your friend realizes that and avoids ruining the cut of meat. I guess you could braise it, but it still won't come out the way he thinks it will.
Good luck to your friend!

He will be seriously disappointed if he cooks that pork loin to 190. Show him this thread if you need help stopping him
icon_wink.gif
You can sear at the beginning or the end either way is good in my opinion, as long as you take it off when it is still good and juicy. I also pull pork loins around 145 and slice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">His butcher told him that he the smaller cut (5 lb.) will cook quicker than a BB, but to the same effect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It never ceases to amaze me how many "butchers" know so little about what they're selling.

Well, gee, he did get the part about it "cooking faster" right! 190 degree loin, Mmmm, pork leather.

I have a feeling that he is getting his meat from a high end local market. I hope that the idea of "shredding" a pork loin was his own idea, and not cooked up by the butcher.
I am trying to "ride shotgun" with him on this cook, as this is his first time smoking anything (on a brand new smoker).
P., it's nice to know that it can be done on the smoker. It just seems easier to me to just cook a pork loin on the grill, utilizing the direct/indirect heat and add some wood chips for smoke, if you want.
Thanks to everyone for the advice. Wish me luck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve McKibben:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Donny Anderson:

BOARD POSTERS MAKE NOTE - A GATOR FAN AND A VOL FAN COEXISTING IN A CIVILIZED MANNER! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve,
Sorry about the loss today. I don't know if we will fare any better tonight.
I do have a connection to UF basketball. Lee Humphrey is from Maryville. I coached against him in middle school. My team held him to six points. Unfortunately, his teammate had 24.

I was hoping we wouldn't be one-and-done, but even that's better than another trip to the NIT.

By now you probably know that Vandy got bounced, so you guys need to try and keep some SEC teams in the tournament.

That's cool about Hump.

I visited Maryville when I was a kid - we knew some people that moved up there. We visited Cades Cove while we were there. Good times...

Back from cook (GO VOLS!). Hheeeehhhhh... Cooked ribs straight with hickory. He used a Coke crate mounded full of chunks within 5 hours of cooking. Empty by the end of the cook. Oven cooked the pork butt until the last 30 minutes or so. Smoked (hickory) until the loin got to temp., so at least it wasn't over cooked.
He seemed to be enthusiastic about his first cook so I didn't burst his bubble. I'm going to have him over to help out with SDIV, so he can pick up some pointers (like not so much smoke wood). Wish me luck with this.

Back