Smoking a flat, keeping it juicy??

Brad

TVWBB Member
Help! I have been trying to smoke just a brisket flat twice with not-so-good results. I am using just the flat because I can’t find a whole brisket local with out paying an arm and a leg for one. I can get just the flat from Costco and this amount is just the correct amount to feed the family. The flat from Costco comes with about ½” of fat on one side with the other side void of any fat. Both were around 6lbs. The first one I used the Midnight Cook recipe and firing method. The second time I used ChrisG’s recipe where the brisket is marinated . Both were smoked at 220 for around 9 hours. The internal temperature rose slowly to the low 170s then sat at this temperature for hours. Once the temperature started to climb above 190 I would feel for doneness. One came off at 193 the other at 197. Wrapped the flat in foil when they came off and let set 1 hour before slicing. Both times the meat had a great flavor and was tender. BUT and there always is a but, both were very dry. Is there something I could do to prevent this? I was at the Viejas Smoking in the Park a few weeks back and had a few tastes, wow juicy and wonderful. Is it possible to get this "juicyness" smoking just a flat?

Thanks Brad

I find that the high heat method gives me my best shot with flats. I don't do whole briskets. Take a look at past posts of high heat brisket cooks. There are lots of good tips in them including tips on foiling with a bit of liquid. Briskets are tricky sometimes. Some of mine come out great and some not so great. All however get eaten
icon_razz.gif

Dave

Brad, Dave is right . Do the hot and fast method. You finish the flat out wrapped in foil. Will be plenty juicy for you.

My Method

Using a probe in the meat cook it to 160F with the a grate temp of 225 - 350F - it really doesn't make much difference - the hi temp is faster, using the low temp with folks sround is more impressive ("he cooked it all night")

When it reaches a meat temp of 160F, put it in an aluminum foil pan with some liquid (can of beer??), cover it with foil and continue cooking until your temp probe goes in with almost NO resistance. Then throw a few SMALL pieces of oak on the fire and cook it on the grate (no pan) for 15 minutes a side.

Wrap it and rest it on a warm cooler for at least 30 minutes - serve it with the de-fatted juice from the foil pan and the wrappings in the cooler.

This is how I do - most of the ideas here have been stolen from good cooks on this forum
icon_wink.gif

I don't particulary care for the flats from Costco, for some reason they over trim the heck out of them.

Anyways, even with an overly trimmed flat you should be able to turn out a good moist brisket. I would suggest cooking with a dome temp in the 250-260* range until the brisket hits between 160-165* (let the bark be your guide between those temps), when you have the right color double wrap in foil and continue to cook until you get an internal temperature of 190*, then wrap the foil wrapped brisket in a towel and place in a dry cooler for a minimum of 2 hours, little longer is better. Resting in the cooler will continue to cook the brisket a couple degrees, as well as redistibute the juices and tenderize the meat. Key point here, open the foil and let the brisket cool for 15 minutes before slicing. Slicing any meat while hot will contribute to dry meat.

Brad, A lot of good advise here. You mentioned a comp you went to. Another thing is a lot of comp. cooks also inject thier briskets. Dr BBQ's is a good one. It's all over the net so I'm sure Ray won't kill me for this:

2 cups beef broth
one-fourth cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
one-half teaspoon cayenne pepper

Give it a shot along with foiling.

Tom

Tom - can I assume you are injecting before the flat goes on the grate or at 160 before wrapping in the foil. Watching this stuff closely as I want to try my first brisket probably after the TG holiday (turkey comes next for the holiday).

Ray

Yes, inject first and then apply rub.

For a more juicer cut try a chuck roast of about the same size.

John

Ray, I inject and rub a few hours before in goes on. I foil (I don't add liquid, many do) during the plateau around 160 - 165 you know because the temp just stalls. Each one can be a little different. At about 185 - 190 I open the foil a bit and start checking for tenderness. A probe will slide in and out with little resistance. Then refoil and hold in a cooler for an hour or so.

Be sure to slice across the grain. The grain can be hard to see when it's done. One way to be sure is to mark the direction by cutting a small v in the direction of the grain on one end.

Tom

I want to thank everyone for all the input. I will be trying another one soon. I will let you all know how it goes.

Brad

Brad,

Lots of guys gave you good info here. this site is full of great info if you do searches for what you are working on.
Like some of these other guys, I like to foil my briskets. Cook it with a full water pan til the timp in the middle is around 160, foil it with some tasty beer, juice, whatever. Seal it up nice and tight and let her go tile it is around 190-195. Keep a close eye on it at this point. The great Jim Minion always says that a brisket is done when it feels done, not when the thermo says it is. the probe should slide into the meat like a hot knife through butter. Keep it in the foil, or wrap it in new, rest it foor a bit and then slice it up.

Smoke on

Hunter

Back