Smokin in the rain

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Here in Florida it rains hard and often in the summer - a couole of inches an hours in not unusal.
Try this if it starts to rain the next time you are cooking...
Remove the handle from an old unbrella - the shaft is just the right size to fit in the hole in the top of the handle on the lid. Rained for 20 minutes - temp at top grate went from 235 to 210 - easily corrected by adjusting vent.

Sounds crazy but it works - just did it again this afternoon. I adjusted one of the vents from 1/2 to full just before it started to rain, temp drop limited (from 225 to 215!) Closed vent back to 1/2 when rain stopped, temp returned to 230 in 15 minutes.

I USED THE TOP OF A BIG PLASTIC TRASH-CAN. IT FIT PERFECT! i HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE TEMP. WAS CAUSE I WASN'T INTERESTED ENUFF TO GO OUT IN THE DOWNPOUR!

that's a GREAT idea Theo.
i assume that you position the lid so that the handle of your WSM fits in the slot for the handle of the trash lid?

Actually the counter-sink for the bolt hole in the handle is suffiently deep (3/8") to hold the unbrella shaft uprigth. I have some pictures - how do I attach a .jpg file here?

While posting a reply, click the "Image" button (it's just below the "Add Reply" button). It allows you to type in the URL of the image you want to display in your reply.

The bulletin board does not have the ability to host your image--you must have it stored on a Web server somewhere.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back