smokin 6 lb Pork Loin Center & Rib Roast w/ Ribs

Darren H

TVWBB Member
Hello Folks...

I picked up a 6lb in total, pork loin center and rib Roast which I'm going to fire on the WSM tomorrow morning. Going to use Mr. Brown and I have a couple of racks of back ribs to put on also.
I was thinking up putting the ribs on the top and the roasts on the bottom. Figuring the ribs would be finished before the roasts.

What do you folks think?. Ribs on top or bottom?. What method should I use... Minion?

Thanks in advance,

DH

Hi Darren,

I'm thinking that you may want to cook that at a bit higher temp than you would for butts, spares, etc (350 possibly) . I believe that that particular cut of meat does not benefit from low/slow due to its makeup. I ususally rotiss, or indirectly grill a pork loin, or cut it up and grill the rib chops. Perhaps one of the more knowledgable members can chime in on this as well. I've definitely had sucess doing it that way though. I hope this helps.

Derek

Derek is quite right: there is no benefit to cooking loin low/slow. It does not have the internal marbling to warrant gentle cooking. That said, you can if you wish. The big deal is not to overcook the roast. I wouldn't go higher than 155; my preference is lower.

Guys..

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to smoke two racks of ribs and 3 fatties with a steak added.

6 handfuls of mesquite wood chips, full water pan and new kingsford.
Final cook was disappointing... too much wood chips as we has an overbearing smoke flavour.
Ribs were tearing apart at the 3.5 - 4hr mark so I pulled them off. We tried them out and wife made a comment about how pink the meat still was. I'm thinking this is the smoke ring as I cannot imagine the ribs not being done at the 3.5 - 4hr mark and bone pulling offering some resistance before tear.
Anyways, I need to take a break from smoking meat for a while... cannot afford it and gettin too fat again!.

P.S. - Probably smoke a Sage Fatty today that needs to get cooked before expiration...lol
The pork is going to be done on my in-laws rotess. today...

Take it easy...

DH

Back