SmokeyFlavor from Lump Charcoal ???

John Vale

TVWBB Fan
My son in California has just purchased a Grill Dome cooker, which is a lot like a Green Egg . Beacuse of the heavy duty ceramic liner which provides insulation, the cooker only needs a small amount of lump charcoal to maintain temps in the 225 to 250 degree range. When the lump is burning, there is a noticable amount of white smoke emitted from the open top vent. He says this gives the food a smokey flavor which he wishes he could eliminate. My question is do any of you who use lump in the WSM find that this fuel gives the food a smokey flavor?

John

The brand of lump he uses may have something to do with it. I have that problem with Kiawe "mesquite" lump in Hawaii. I buy my lump from back east.

If I may post the link... Lump Charcoal Database

Sometimes letting it burn before you put the meat on with the dome closed but vents open it will start to burn cleaner. If you open the dome too much or too long it can flame up and smoke again when you close the lid. It'll take some experimenting...I added a BGE to my aresenal of weber smokers and grills several months ago and went through the same scenario when I then switched to lump charcoal at the same time. I now mix half briquettes and half lump and let it burn off a bit before I add the meat.

Aloha!

Greg Kemp

I use royal oak and I do notice some smoke flavor. Personally, I like it. I just use little or no smoke wood. I do this on things I just don't want too smokey. Ribs and Butt get a lot more smoke wood.

Assuming the smoke isn't worse due to improper combustion, I would try Kamado Extruded Coconut charcoal. It burns very clean.

I get a smoke flavor from Hunphries Lump, and love it. I think kingsford ads more flavor than Lump. Not say it's good or bad, just somtething I notice.

Originally posted by Bob T.:
I think kingsford ads more flavor than Lump. Not say it's good or bad, just somtething I notice.
More of a fossil fuel flavor?
icon_eek.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

ditto what Jerry and Bob said

I have used Maple Leaf lump (birch beech and maple) and I love the subtle flavor it adds

Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
I think kingsford ads more flavor than Lump. Not say it's good or bad, just somtething I notice.
More of a fossil fuel flavor?
icon_eek.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's just say I prefer the lump!
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by John Vale:
He says this gives the food a smokey flavor which he wishes he could eliminate.
Not trying to be flippant... but isn't that the point of buying a smoker and using charcoal? to get a smoke flavor?

A lot of lump charcoal brands include some only partially charred wood, that's where the smoke and smoke flavor is coming from. Properly prepared charcoal is just carbon, which should produce no significant smoke or flavor.

I've found some really "interesting" things in the last couple of boxes of lump I bought from Home Depot. One had several pieces of charcoal that looked like they were derived from either plywood or some other laminate.

Originally posted by adam clyde:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Vale:
He says this gives the food a smokey flavor which he wishes he could eliminate.
Not trying to be flippant... but isn't that the point of buying a smoker and using charcoal? to get a smoke flavor? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is a matter of being able to control the amount and flavor of the smoke rather than just having the smoke coming from the lump

John
The least amount of smoker flavor will come from lump charcoal made of kiln dried material like Cowboy Lump. You are trading off something to get it, this lump leaves makes a very weak coal base, and you will use more fuel.
Jim

Back