Smokey Joe Does Smoked Beef Chuck...

D. L. Whitehead

TVWBB Super Fan
Howdy hi all,

Continuing the series of smoking most of the commonly smoked meats on Smokey Joe, today's challenge was to smoke beef chuck roast.

Previously:

Pork Butt

Chicken (Drumsticks) with discussion of most modifications to Smokey Joe

Beef Ribs (Nubbins)

Brisket Flat

I'll just let the photos speak (mostly) for themselves...

Chuck_02.JPG

Chuck_03_B.JPG

Chuck_05.JPG

<span class="ev_code_RED">Note the red, red outer portion (smoke ring) of some of the roast. This is at 160 degrees F.--just before foiling. I used my thermometer as probe and probed to determine doneness. It was done when it was tender by feel!</span>

Chuck_06.JPG

It was the best pulled beef I've ever, ever eaten!

Still, pondering how to do pork spare ribs...
icon_confused.gif

Doing it small and makin' it tasty!

###

Great looking pulled beef D.L. Yes, great color on the outside, using Cherry by chance? At any rate, great pics.
icon_cool.gif
Spares you might try rolling, but I think they might be a tad too tall. Cut em into pieces, but who wants to do that. Maybe rig something up you can lay a rack on and be right upagainst the inside of the lid and follow the curve of the kettle. I used some crushed down beer cans not too long ago when I forgot my rib rack for a cook at my sisters house. Hey they worked.
icon_biggrin.gif

man, that looks sooooo good/ ya make it look like the sj turns out better q than the 22 kettle. i'm gonna start playin with my sj's more. well, as soon as we get under 100 deg's outside.

Originally posted by Bryan S:
Great looking pulled beef D.L. Yes, great color on the outside, using Cherry by chance? At any rate, great pics.
icon_cool.gif
Spares you might try rolling, but I think they might be a tad too tall. Cut em into pieces, but who wants to do that. Maybe rig something up you can lay a rack on and be right upagainst the inside of the lid and follow the curve of the kettle. I used some crushed down beer cans not too long ago when I forgot my rib rack for a cook at my sisters house. Hey they worked.
icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Bryan,

It was mesquite and white oak. I usually get very good smoke rings, but I thought this was outstanding.

There is only about 3" clearance on the down-slope side of the Smokey Joe lid. So, rolling spare ribs, as typically done, is out. In all likelihood, the slab will need to be cut into two pieces. That's fine as wife, Jeanette, and I usually do halvesies on ribs. Of course, the bummer is two extra ends... I've been thinking about using two cooking grates--smaller grate on top of the original. And, instead of buying the biggest, meatiest ribs I can find, they'll likely be the puniest ones available.

Thanks!

###

Originally posted by george curtis:
man, that looks sooooo good/ ya make it look like the sj turns out better q than the 22 kettle. i'm gonna start playin with my sj's more. well, as soon as we get under 100 deg's outside.

Hi george,

I encourage you to try Smokey Joe! The only real warning is that it is very small. Very small!

100 degrees! We set a record low temperature this morning and yesterday morning. We went for a tandem bicycle ride about 6:00 a.m. this morning and I wished I'd worn full-finger gloves! Low today--51 degrees F. High today--78 degrees F.

###

D.L you continue to accomplish amazing things with your SJ setup. I don't know if I could get pulled beef of that quality with my feeble skills and the WSM! You have some serious Smokey Joe-Fu going on!

d.l., i have several sj's. i do small stuff on them but not to the extent that you have. yer success has opened some doors for me. at times i want to cook something but not in a big scale such as a full cook on the 22 kettle. we will have almost two weeks of 100 plus deg when this ends.

Originally posted by D. L. Whitehead:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:

Hi george,

I encourage you to try Smokey Joe! The only real warning is that it is very small. Very small!

100 degrees! We set a record low temperature this morning and yesterday morning. We went for a tandem bicycle ride about 6:00 a.m. this morning and I wished I'd worn full-finger gloves! Low today--51 degrees F. High today--78 degrees F.

### </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

D.L. you continue to amaze me with the SJ! FANTASTIC! A bigger cooker couldn't have done it any better!

I have come to a conclusion that pulled versus shredded comes down to how enthusiastically the beef is pulled. If you separate it like Droopy (cartoon character) then it's 'pulled', if it's ripped through like the Tazmanian Devil then it's 'shredded'!
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Howard Barlow:
Mighty tasty looking there, DL. How long was the cook? I guess I am going to order my SJG tomorrow. Yer killin' me.

Hi Howard,

It was about 7 hours. The grate temperatures ranged from 220 to 250 degrees F. I'm thinking that my grate thermometer is reading higher than what is the average vessel cooking temperature. This is probably due to the proximity of the probe to the charcoal--despite using a radiant heat baffle. For any item I've smoked on Smokey Joe so far, the cooking times were at or slightly exceeded the upper range of cooking times, per pound, that you'd expect for that cut of meat.

Though I've managed the cooks well, I'm still learning. I've only done eight cooks and those were with five different cuts of meat. It's a learning experience...

Originally posted by Mick N:
Is your camera an Olympus mju 725 by any chance?

Hi Mick,

No, the camera is an old (ancient) Sony Mavica MVC-FD91. I purchased it to make photos for web pages and, ten years later, it is still doing a good job.

###

Originally posted by george curtis:
d.l., i have several sj's. i do small stuff on them but not to the extent that you have. yer success has opened some doors for me. SNIP

Smokey Joes are great! My wife encouraged me to purchase a second Smokey Joe during an Independence Day sale. Smokey Joe, occasionally, does grill things. Friday, it grilled shrimp...

Smokey_Joe_Does_Shrimp_003.jpg

###

Great looking beef. I did a bunch yesterday too on the WSM though, about 16 pounds worth, thats about 4 days of cooking on your little SJ! Great job on that piece of machinery, and I bet you really conserve on charcoal too, looks like about 4 briquetes in there. Ha!

not to brag but i got 6 sj's. 3 of them i got from kmart on sale for 10.00 . still in the box. was gonna use them as gifts but found out those folks already had them. guess i got enough ?
icon_eek.gif

Back