Smokey Bones Pork Shoulder Recipe on Foodnetwork.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Brian but I'll stick with mine!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Seems to quick to cook a shoulder (10 hrs)?
icon_confused.gif

I like butts anyway!!
icon_wink.gif

Greg,

Do you inject the meat as much as this recipe suggests? I haven't used injection as part of my cooking technique, but I may try it once.

Brian A

I' don't inject me butts. I know a guy who owns a local BBQ eatery and he inject liquid smoke in to the butts and beef for smokey flavor. I think that's cheating but he needs to produce product fatster than I have to, right?

It still tastes GREAT! His sauce is AWESOME as well!

I have injected butts and picnics several times with Stubbs Pork Marinade. It produced a very moist and flavorful BBQ. But I do not inject all of the time, for some reason. I get bored with the same thing so I try BBQ alot of different ways. But injecting is one of my favorites. Just remember if you use the Stubbs or another "chunky" marinade, to strain it first or you will clog the needle.

I don't know how much more moisture my butts could take. They seem to come out moist as can be every single time. As for flavor....I'm a long way from tired of the taste to change anything!

Nick P.

Maybe its just me ... but this thread is taking on a Howard Stern sound to it. I can picture Baba Loui and Stuttering John asking a question about injecting butts.

Brian A

That's "Baba Booey"-- the joke being that Gary Dell'Abate misspoke "Baba Looey" (sp?) (from Quick Draw McGraw), and was forever ridiculed for having done so.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian Albin:
Maybe its just me ... but this thread is taking on a Howard Stern sound to it. I can picture Baba Loui and Stuttering John asking a question about injecting butts.

Brian A <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True! I read the word butt so much now it doesn't even phase me. It would be even more Howard Stern if we start talking about Butt Bongo!

My wifes parents "A.K.A. the in-laws" was there to try my first pork butt on my WSMs maiden voyage. I went straight off the Mr brown recipe that came from this site and they loved it. The next day they were craving Q so they went to the fore mentioned bbq joint with hopes of feeding their cravings and were totally let down.
WSM wins again.
DP

I listened to Howey back in the early 80's before I moved to Fla. Don't ask me what I thought of him though...(had to listen since it was always on where I worked) Then he got canned and moved to NYC...Remember the Grease Man
icon_biggrin.gif

When you guys cook shoulders how much if any of the fat and skin or neither do you leave on. Obviously if the fat is gone then the skin is too...

On a Butt I dont do anything to it as far as cutting fat or skin. Rub it down and let sit for 30 to 60 min as I start the fire. It has come out good for me.

Jim, On shoulders def remove the skin. I'm lazy so i don't trim the fat off. There is plenty of internal fat on them so don't worry about it drying out. Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back