Smokewood

Jon Chappel

TVWBB Member
I bought some Mesquite wood yesterday. They also had hickory. They were nice big clean bags, and cheep too, which is nice because it hard for me to find locally. I've only ever used cherry. When I bought the wood, I was thinking that I could mix Mesquite and cherry but now don't know if that's such a good idea. Also I'm doing my first overnight smoke pulled pork and ribs for smokeday.

So my question is whats better for pork, misquite or hickery and should I ether with cherry?

Also I dont want to over do the smoke, I was going to do about 3 large chunks with the butt overnight, then throw on the ribs and another piece or two of wood in the morning. Is that a good anount of wood, too much, too little?

Thanks

I'm hesitant to use a such a strong wood for the first tune b/c I'm cooking for other people. If it were just me or a smaller group I would not care. I will be doing the standard burgers and dogs also so either way no one will go home hungry.

I think you are good with just Cherry and a couple small pieces of hickory. I find mesquite really strong and I like smoke "smoke".

I personally only use mesquite sparingly on beef.

Jon,

I'd stick with the hickory/cherry, especially if you don't have much experience with mesquite, and it sounds like this is for a large group. If anything, you probably want to be a little light on the smoke for a large group, instead of heavy, and it's easy to oversmoke with mesquite.

If you only use hickory, it will probably make the pulled pork taste more like bacon, which a lot of people love. If that's not what you're going for, maybe use just cherry or a cherry/hickory mix. Personally, I use oak for pork (and most everything else).

Mesquite would pretty much over power cherry. The trick with mesquite is to use less. If you usually use 4 chunks of oak or hickory then use 2 of mesquite.

I'm going to go back and swap-out the mesquite for the hickey. I knew they were both strong and wanted to get the more mild one but couldn't remember which was which.

You can't beat hickory, on anything. It is NOT over-powering , or at leat to me. Also, check out the "Menion Method" of loading your charcoal pit, and place some of the hardwood down low under the charcoal. Also, some "Experts" say your meat will NOT absorb any smoke once it gets up to cooking temperature. Everyone has an opinion. I personally use hickory, and a mixture of pecan and oak. I havent starved myself to death yet. Turns out good. Buying the large bags of "Mini-Logs" creates another issue, cutting it with a chain saw. I had to invest in a $50 dollar electric chain saw, put the log in a vice, and go to cutting. Lot's of work, lot's of sawdust, and I might go back to the smaller bags for the convenience. Anybody want a "Used Once Electric Chain saw ?"

Hickory is the old time favorite, use it till you run out. Try all the woods till you find one (or more) that fits your palate. Everyone is different in what they like for it to taste.

Good luck my friend.

Back