smokewood in Michigan....where to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron F

TVWBB Fan
Besides the usual mesquite and hickory, anyone have an idea where I can get other types of smokewood? Looking for white oak, cherry, etc.....

Ron

Ron,

I have had success getting apple and peach wood from the orchards located in Romeo and Armada. I just call them and se if they have any wood that they have trimmed or trees that they have cut. Ususally late fall is best.

I have ordered other woods off the web with great success, oak, cherry, and sugar maple. If you are interested here are a couple of sites:

www.kingsmoke.com
www.hawgeyesbbq.com
www.peopleswoods.com

There are others, I have ordered from all and they have very nice fist size chunks. Remember, 20lbs of fist size chunks will last you awhile.
icon_biggrin.gif

Last year, I went to Romeo and one of the orchards had apple wood logs in big boxes out front. The lady said pick out how much you need, I said about 20-30lbs....she said $5.00.

Near Ford Rd. and Middlebelt there is a true value hardware (towne and country). They have bags of apple and cherry. Closer to you is the fireplace place on Northline near I75 but they only have chips. There is another true value hardware on 7 mile (I think) that has a good bbq section. Check around. I grew up in Westland so I head back in that direction, but I'm sure somewhere near Southgate there is a place that has a good bbq section.

I did try the Fireside Shoppe on Northline....they do only carry chips. I will check out the true value stores....I think there may be one near the airport on Eureka..thanks. Worst comes to worst I'll order some online......

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back