smoker

ryanburns

TVWBB Member
Got a question for you guys. I am really starting to crave some pulled pork but since I am in MI figure another month or so till the temps warm up. Currently I have a ECB (el cheapo Brinkman) that was been modified to work better. I would love a WSM but it is not in the budget right now. Would you stick with the Brinkman or I am thinking about picking up a smokenator. I don't smoke a whole lot. Pulled pork and ribs a few times a year and some salmon.

I've got the smokenator and it works great. I originally bought it to smoke with until I could afford my WSM. I still use the smokenator once in awhile, but for pulled pork and brisket I use the WSM. I also had or still have (covered up in the shed) an ECB, which I used a few times, but was not satisfied with the temperature controls, so I bought the smokenator. If you only smoke a few times a year and control your temps and are satisfied with the ECB, then save up for the WSM. Just my 2 cents worth.

You can always use a weber kettle and do pulled pork indirect too! I bought my wsm from Amazon for 180 bucks like over 10 years ago and it still makes great bbq. I only had to get another charcoal grate because it got warped and let coals slip thru.. Save your money for a wsm.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

WSM is what you should really save for. Honestly I wouldn't bother spending the money on the smokenator simply because if you are saving for the WSM, why spend money on something else? Smokenator is $60 and an 18" WSM is $300 and the 22" WSM is $390. Put that $60 into savings!

I have a smokenator someone bought for me and it does come in handy if I'm just smoking a little something for my wife and I. However, considering it's 20% the cost of the 18" and 15% of the 22", I'd just save the money.

Look into building yourself a Ugly drum smoker(UDS). You can build on for under $100.It is really easy to control temps on just like the WSM and puts out some good quality Q. Unlike the WSM you can get the temps way up too. I have both and use the UDS a lot more than I use the WSM.

Ryan,

I saved for the 22.5 WSM. I have never regretted it!

I started smoking using the ECB. My best modification was removing the fire pan and then using my smokey joe as the fire bowl. The ECB fit perfect right on top. With the minion method, I still had to add fuel but this setup made long smokes a lot more enjoyable while waiting for WSM.

just get a 22 kettle. you can do most anything on it. there is enough info here to show you a few tricks to make it do what you need.

I 2nd keep an eye out on craigslist that's where I picked up my wsm.

And temp is no excuse to not be smoking or grilling. My grill is pulled up to the back door and my smoker is under the deck.
icon_biggrin.gif

I know its been unseasonably warm around here but I have done ribs and pulled pork in 20 degrees with no problem.

R_Sanchez. That's exactly what I did with the fire bowl. I also got a vent off a beat up Weber Kettle and fashioned it to the top lid of the ECB using a step bit to make the vent holes. Honestly it works fine I am just a gadget junkie.

I have a Weber Kettle already and maybe I will just save up my $$ for a WSM or the Kettle Pizza attachment.

I too bought a ketttle to get me by for a while. Never did PP, but did do ribs plenty of time as well a chuck for pulled beef. Even though I has a WSM now, I'm sure I will still use the kettle when I only do two slabs

Besides everything else that has been said, once you get your WSM you will be surprised how much you use it. Once I got mine I went from using my Brinkman once or twice a year to smoking at least once a month for the past 21 straight months.
Bite the bullet and get the WSM you will wonder why you waited.

Mike

I would defintely recommend you saving your money and putting it towards ANY Weber product, especially a kettle or a wsm. You can do good slow and low in a kettle as well it just takes some planning and proper placement of things but it is not difficult. If you only smoke a few times a year then a kettle might be a better option for you, and you can grab a used one off of CL for a good price. Once you get hooked into the smoking game, then definitely get a WSM.
In the meantime, you can make pulled pork in the oven. Very easy and tasty.

I would also recommend that you save your money and buy the WSM. I used a smokenator for two years, until I got a WSM. My reasoning was that I already owned a Weber kettle and did not know if I would like smoking enough to do it frequently. I used the smokenator several times and discovered that I really enjoyed smoking and serving the finished product to family and friends.

What I did not like about the smokenator was that I had to keep an eye on it. Mine would develop hot and cold spots and burn a little uneven. If I let it go two hours the temps would fall. I got into the habit of stirring the coals and topping off the water pan once an hour, and adding more coals every two hours.

I love my WSM. I can load it up, set the BBQ Guru and leave it for several hours. One time I put some bacon on at 180 degrees and left the house for two hours. It was dead on 180 when I returned. I could never do that with confidence on the smokenator. I'm going to buy a used kettle and leave it and the Smokenator at the cabin.

i have done pulled pork on a 22 weber. i am saving for the wsm but in the meantime i am enjoying the kettle as much as possible. Here in lower michigan I have smoke as low as 20 degrees. just takes a lot of watching and warm clothes

I am going to echo everyone else and say save up for a WSM. I used to do pulled pork and ribs on a 22.5 One Touch, with varying degrees of success and alot of tending. Now that I have my WSM, my ribs and pulled pork has never been better.

Maybe it was user error on the OTS, but the WSM holds temps like a pro, something I never experienced before. I know that it is a big investment, but trust me, if you buy the WSM you will find yourself smoking more often.

I'm sure you can smoke pulled pork on a kettle but the WSM is designed from the ground up to do that and it does it well (and with less effort on your part.)

If you have more time than money or a penchant for DIY projects, a UDS would probably be a good project, but I've always felt that the $300 I spent on my 18" WSM was well spent.

I can tell you what I did. I had a charbroil cheapo worked good for a few years,then the temps were out of control. I decided to buy a new smoker (the ole'lady w/non too happy)
I ended up buying a 18.5 OTS on CL for $20.00 it was like new. I then got a Pro Q for $30.00 W/shipping. I now have a WSM clone for $50.00.This thing works like a charm. It worked so well that my wife wanted a weber charcoal grill for herself, found a NIB 18.5 OTG on ebay for $29.99.I use the clone for smokes and the kettle for cooks.

Back