Smokefire Temp Swings

BARoy

New Smokefire owner here. I am trying to learn what the actual temperatures are inside the cook chamber as a couple of cooks seems to run longer than on my old Camp Chef Woodwind.

See the attached picture to follow along… I placed ambient probe 1 to the left-center and probe 2 at right-center, at close to the same height as the internal temp probe. I ran for 20-25 minutes at a setting of 250F, then bumped to 350F after a few cycles. It seems that the software on my unit, once the set temperature normalizes and repeating cycles begin, waits until the temp drops to @ 50F below goal temperature before heating back up to right at the goal temperature the result is an average of 25-35F below the set temp.

My question is, is this typical? Do I just need to adjust high as my setting next cook or is this worthy of contacting Weber over?
IMG_2745.png

You have to allow it to stabilize longer. All pellet grills will swing a bit wide up and down right after a temp change. Or even as it is simply ramping up

Check the "probe" of the SF to make sure it's free of gunk, and follow it's wire to check for any possible damage. The SF depends on it's probe to function correctly. If you're still getting temp swings that seem unacceptable, try doing the factory reset and then installing the latest update when it's done. To do a factory reset:

Step one: Hold the three buttons to the right of the dial with one hand while unit is on
Step Two: Power off the unit at the main power switch beside the power cord while continuing to press the three buttons
Step Three: While STILL holding the three buttons power the EX back up with the power switch

You can always contact Weber's customer service. Plan on the call taking up a half hour or son
ps: Welcome to the forum

Mine runs on the hot side of set temp. It takes the grill about 30 minutes to stabilize after it reaches set temp. I cook low and slow on the upper grate and I keep an ambient probe next to the meat. I adjust set temp to what I want on the meat and cook. I just did 2 Chickens and a setting of 300 or 305 kept me below 350 and I didn't burn the rub. Welcome to the asylum.

I got kind of annoyed the other day. I was reverse searing a whole picanha and the temp was way off. I can deal with temperature swings, but when I set the smoker to 225, and then it starts running up around 270 to 300+, I'm very annoyed with that.

I had to leave the house as soon as I put the meat on the grill, but when I came home, I set it to smoke boost, and it dropped quite a bit, jumped way back up, then stabilized a little closer to where I would be okay with, between 210 and 240 or so, but by then I was pretty much up to temp on the meat.

This is according to my ThermoWorks Signals app, while the Weber app was showing that the temperature was basically locked in. I put my ambient probe right next to the built-in probe. The food turned out okay, but still a little annoying for what I paid for this thing.

1000008864.jpg

When I had mine, it had temp swings of about 100° when tested against other thermometers even though the readout on the SF said it maintained constant temps. That and some other issues convinced me to part ways with it.

My son gave me two of the Meater +2 probes for Christmas. The Meater usually reads 25 degrees cooler than the SF probe, I need to clean the probe. I used my Termopen One to verify that the Meater probe is accurate for the internal temp of the meat.

My son gave me two of the Meater +2 probes for Christmas. The Meater usually reads 25 degrees cooler than the SF probe, I need to clean the probe. I used my Termopen One to verify that the Meater probe is accurate for the internal temp of the meat.
Tom - are you talking about a 25 degree difference for the grill temp (not the meat temp)? If so, that can often times be explained by the hunk of cold meat creating a cooler ambient temperature next to the end of the Meater probe. Seems like the Meater is probably working okay. It should get more inline with the SF probe once the meat has been cooking for a while.

Back