Smokefire Issues and Updates

Has Weber's hardware and/or software updates helped improve your Smokefire experience?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The updates have partially improved my experience

• I've never had any issues with my Smokefire

• Total voters

Dave - Unixadm

TVWBB Super Fan
Weber has started to release updates to the Smokefire line of pellet cookers. I thought having a thread to document known issues and updates would be helpful to the community. This is not a thread to debate the problems. Let's stay focused on the actual problems and actual fixes from Weber direct.

Weber OEM Updates as of March 6, 2020:

1. Hopper Stainless Steel Slide [Released first week of March 2020]
2. Hopper Chute and Auger Motor Assembly (Revision F) [Released late February 2020]

Weber Tentative Updates - TBD Release Date:

1. Upcoming software enhancement to improve start-up and pre-heating performance.
2. Upcoming software enhancement to improve re-ignition if a flameout occurs.
3. Upcoming application enhancement to improve performance and capabilities.

Issues as of March 6, 2020:

1. Flameouts
2. Pellet feed issues / bridging in hopper
3. Ash issues
- Inside cooking chamber
- Outside cooking chamber
4. Temperature issues
- Right side much hotter than left
- Slow heating or failure to hit / maintain set point
5. Potential for grease fires
6. Embers leaving bottom part of cooker

If you have received updates from Weber, please share what items you feel have or have not helped. I've also added a poll to this thread. Please only vote if you own a Smokefire EX4 or EX6. You may update your vote at a later date should your experience change.

If you have issues which are not listed above, please add to this thread and I'll update the list. I tried to add items I've read about or experienced myself.

Last edited:
This will be a good thread!
I never had hopper issues but I’m glad they sent a fix, mine is installed and ready for the weekend.

I haven’t had any other issues.

Back