Smokefire EX4 has been flawless

Do you have any regrets not getting the EX6 ?
Late response, sorry. No, I have no regrets on the size. I have a 4 person family and have cooked for 12 on it. I believe that the mechanicals are the same between sizes. Because I'm usually cooking for 4, the bigger grill would mostly translate to using more pellets to heat unused space.

Those are some great looking cooks. Glad to hear it's cooking fine now.
Oh, it's great. And I've now been putting more time and cooks between cleanings and it's been fine. Pellets are probably 40% more expensive than gas, but every cook is more satisfying and tastes better. And I'm in my basement right now while monitoring temps on some ribs outside.

The pics look like great results. Glad to see it did well on grilled stuff, as well as smoked. The ability to grill effectively and be a dual purpose cooker is important.

Thanks for the info on size choice. I see one of these in my future.

The pics look like great results. Glad to see it did well on grilled stuff, as well as smoked. The ability to grill effectively and be a dual purpose cooker is important.

I've seen them for $799 around, I'd try to jump on that. Maybe it was on Ace or Lowes and I think maybe Amazon, can't remember. They are still paying the price for the botched launch. I paid retail and still did the upgrades myself.

Yes, in my quest for the does-it-all grill, this one really got me excited when I saw the launch. I "needed" a cooker that replicated charcoal, but for every day of the week. Before I was only using charcoal on weekends and for better cuts. I was also struggling with an electric smoker and had pretty much given up and went back to smoking on the kettle. I'm all about slow food and all but now I can just fire it up and smoke all day without giving it a second look, assuming the pellets are topped off. I guess I still do look a bunch while but it's on the app on my phone. This grill has taken the place of a gas grill, a charcoal grill and a smoker in exactly the way that I had imagined. I knew that it would smoke well and I'm very happy with the high heat grilling as well.

The other bonus is that there are heat zones. The right side is considerably hotter than the left. I can't speak to whether this was intended, I doubt it. But the hot right mixed with the cooler left and the big added top rack make it quite versatile.

Lowe’s shows them at $799, reduced from $999. My closest store is out of stock (must have finally sold the one that was there all year) but I can get it shipped to my house or drive 30 minutes to get one at another location.

Are they much trouble to assemble? I don’t love doing that, but it does teach you a little about it, and I probably put more care into it than the guy at Lowe’s.

Anyone know if you can tell if a particular one has had the updates? Or have none in stores had them yet?

Lowe’s shows them at $799, reduced from $999. My closest store is out of stock (must have finally sold the one that was there all year) but I can get it shipped to my house or drive 30 minutes to get one at another location.

Are they much trouble to assemble? I don’t love doing that, but it does teach you a little about it, and I probably put more care into it than the guy at Lowe’s.

Anyone know if you can tell if a particular one has had the updates? Or have none in stores had them yet?
I didn't assemble mine, got it already built at Lowes. I did the Weber upgrades, however, and nothing was too complicated. Mine is built solidly but I would have been happy to assemble it myself just to know the ins and outs of construction. They are now selling units as "Gen 2". So if it's not Gen 2, you will probably have to replace the auger chute yourself. If it was me and I found an unbuilt one for $799, I'd just contact Weber right away and wait for the upgrades before assembly. They are really quick to send the replacement stuff out. But I feel like I've seen "Gen 2" units for the $799 price lately.

But if I were you, I'd be driving 30 minutes for the assembled one. It's big. It filled up my Honda Pilot rear. Bring the right car.

Back