SmokeFire and Spirit 3-burner/Genesis x000/Silver/Gold/Platinum grates DO interchange

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
While my Lowe's in Stuart, FL seems to be on the bottom of the list for deliveries of the new SmokeFire, the Lowe's 20 miles away in St. Lucie West has both models on display:

SmokeFires at Lowes.jpg

I had a few minutes to spare, so I did an experiment by taking a cast iron grate from a nearby Spirit 3-burner to see if it really does fit in the new SmokeFire. Perfect fit. Sorry, didn't get a picture. I am posting just to confirm, then, that you can therefore also use any classic Genesis (x000-SIlver/Gold/Platinum) grates on this grill. You will need two for the EX4 (same size grill), but the EX6 will require 3 grates. This, of course, means that you can use any number of stainless rod (or cast iron, for that matter) grates made for the older Genesis grills. Go all out with a set of rcplanebuyer gems and you should be able to do some excellent searing. I think a decent set of Qlimetal or Hongso would do fine, however.

The SmokeFire has an upper one-piece shelf for which we will have to await someone's custom adaptation to have a replacement option. I don't see this as being as important because in a searing situation you would most likely remove this shelf anyway. Used for low and slow bbq I think the plated steel will last fairly long.

Goo callout. I already did the grate upgrade on mine. I also have the Weber gourmet kit sitting in the box that I may test fit one of these days. I'm going to modify the left over 4th grate I bought to work with the gourmet kit. I have no intention of replacing the upper grate. I think it's well designed and does the job. I just wanted thicker stainless bars for improved searing and it did improve the searing capability.

Back