Smoked whitefish or chubb recipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
Hi Gang. Around bagel stores and delis in the northeastern US we get a small smoked fish called a chubb and a slightly larger version called smoked whitefish. It's usually right next to the lox.

Does anyone have any idea what fish these are and how I might go about trying to cook some in the WSM?

Rob,

The smaller fish (chub) is usually a deep fresh water fish called a ciscoe. The larger one is smoked Rock Cod.

As far as cooking, I would think that a temp of around 250° for 3 or 4 hours (depending on size) would do it. I think they also would be better without any rub.

There might be someone with more fish smoking savvy then me that could add some words of wisdom.

Nothin' better than smoked whitefish and creamcheese on a toasted onion bagel. Hey, now I know what's for breakfast tomorrow !!!!

Al

Thanks Al,

I think I can find some Rock Cod but know I've never seen ciscoe. Does it go by any other names?

I always thought they were whitefish but I'm not sure. I do know that when I buy them in and around the Chicago area, from various deli's, the smoked fish is coated with oil. Not sure how that is incorporated into the smoking process. Sunday morning Bears brunch, lox, bagels and smoked chubbs, You can't beat it!

Hey Dave,

Nice to hear from Morton Grove. I spent a lot of time out there a few years back. Not sure if it's still around but we used to go to a hot dog place called... Hot Dog Island.

You call that a Bear's brunch? I call it an Eagles brunch. Now if I could only figure out how to smoke a cheesesteak.....

Rob,
From what I've read, the cisco is a member of the Whitefish family. They are most commonly known as chubs, but you alresdy know that.

I bet you could smoke any variety of fresh water fish with great results.

Alder is the wood of choice. If you don't have any and want to try it, I have tons. E-mail me at unclealtkp@comcast dot net with your address and I'll send you some.

Al

Hey thanks man I'm gonna do that. Where are you getting Alder up in Massachusetts?

Did you really mean freshwater? I thought Cod was a salt water fish.

Hi,

Your right. The Black Rock Cod (aka Sablefish) is most definitely a salt water fishy.

I got the alder from this placealder link.

I also splurged and got some of their smoked fish. Without a doubt the best smoked fish I have ever tasted!!!!!!!!

Al

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ROB O:
Hey Dave,

Nice to hear from Morton Grove. I spent a lot of time out there a few years back. Not sure if it's still around but we used to go to a hot dog place called... Hot Dog Island. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi Rob,
Hot Dog Island moved a few miles east to Skokie. Walgreen's made them an offer they couldn't refuse for their old property. They still have great Vienna Hot Dogs (Chicago style, no ketchup!) and wonderful hand cut fries. And speaking of cheesesteak, we've got a place called Philly's Best. Now if we could just get some more BBQ joints ...
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back