Smoked Turkey

Steve W in NC

TVWBB Member
I am new to the WSM but have used a Brinkman for years...in fact working on my second one now. Let's talk turkey.

For years I have used the Brinkman for the Turkey brining overnight. After drying off the turkey I inject olive oil that was sauteed with spices (garlic, onion, salt, oregano, thyme) then cooled. I smoked it for about six hours for a 20 pounder. This recipe has given me excellent results in the past with beautiful meat that is really moist. Great smoke ring.

Now that I have the WSM I'm wondering whether to convert to the recipe on this website with a higher heat and no water in the pan.

Also, why smoke a small bird if a large one fits in the grill?

Welcome Steve,

I think converting your recipe to a high heat is really based on personal preference. Some here really like the low and slow approach with turkey. Look for threads by Larry Wolfe on a low and slow turkey. If you haven't done a high heat cook; I'd recommend trying one and compare the results. As far as the size of the bird; again, that's up to you. Do you need a big bird? Can you properly freeze any leftovers, etc.

Paul

Thanks Paul for the feedback.

I feel most that use the high heat for a turkey smoke like to eat the turkey skin. I do not. I don't like the flavor (too smoky) and don't want the fat from the skin. So to me the skin is only good for keeping the turkey moist during cooking then is discarded.

As for the size, I read an article in the paper saying the skelton of a 15 pound bird is not much smaller than a 22 pounder. So the extra weight is mostly meat. The bigger bird is just more economical. Freeze the leftovers and enjoy in a turkey pie later on.

I've done 4 turks, all the same way. My first one came out real good, so i've stayed with that method. It is the method that I got in the cooking section on the Apple-Brined bird. Very tasty. I use high heat, higher than it says in that recipe actually. I don't care for the skin either, but the high heat gives me a really nice moist bird, and in really very little time. I keep a pretty close eye on temps, and once that breast is 165, the bird comes off. If I am holding it for a bit, i'll pull around 160.

Back