Smoked turkey breast suggestions needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duane Riggs

TVWBB Member
I am doing a 20lb butterball in the oven Thursday. I am going to smoke 2 7.5 pounder bone-in turkey breasts on the WSM. They are already injected.

I am wanting to do something more on the Que side of things with the breasts besides just the smoke.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions for rubs, etc, to use.

How about mixing up a glaze of a cup of real maple syrup with a couple of tablespoons of melted butter and a tablespoon or two (to taste) of your favorite adult distilled whiskey/bourbon type beverege? Like maybe Mr Jack D or his more sophisticated cousin Gentleman Jack? Smoke it for a while, and hit it with the glaze a couple of times toward the end of the cook? I've been reading up on that, and it sounds just VERY tasty to me.

Sarah Moulton has a nice-sounding version of this over on Food TV that includes some Dijon-style mustard and NO booze in the glaze. She says to mix 1/3 cup maple syrup and 3 Tbs coarse-grained Dijon-style mustard, spoon about 1/3 of the glaze over the breast after about 3/4 of the cooking time, and continue cooking till done, glazing a couple of more times. I think I'd try to hold the glazing sessions down to two, though, to keep from losing so much heat.

Just an idea...

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keri C:
...Just an idea...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
And a good one. I do a glaze with maple syrup, Dijon, carmelized onion, and Jack Daniels, which sounds similar. Very tasty on smoked breast. As Keri suggests, glaze no more than twice.

No, it is not porous. Normally I remove the skin at the time I am going to glaze. Prior to cooking I separate it from the meat so it comes off easily and quickly.

Is there an advantage to leaving the skin on for the first part of the cook and then removing it prior to glazing?

The cajun idea and the glaze idea both sound good. Thanks.

If i go with the glaze any suggestions for a seasoning rub at the beginning?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andrew S in LA:
Is there an advantage to leaving the skin on for the first part of the cook and then removing it prior to glazing? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The skin protects the meat at first. Then the glaze does. You can leave the skin on for the whole thing but the glaze prevents the skin from crisping and doesn't really flavor the meat. If you glaze under the skin the glaze won't carmelize.

Sometimes I remove the skin at the outset and make a paste rub instead. Then I glaze over that when the time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back