Smoked Turducken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike U

TVWBB Member
I noticed that a local meat market was selling Turduckens (boneless chicken inside a boneless duck, inside a turkey, with layers of stuffing in between.)

Anyone ever try one of these on the WSM?

I'm not sure if low and slow would be the way to cook one of these, but it seems like there's alot of adventurous types out here.

I suppose someone could try this using an empty water pan covered in foil and getting the temp in the smoker up to 350* at least.

To try to slow cook this would be attempted suicide. This much poultry would sit in the danger zone (40-140*) for hours. Growing lots of nice bacteria that excrete endo toxins (food poisoning). /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
Jim

I agree. You could cook in the WSM at the prescribed temperature of 350-375*F with a little smokewood for added flavor, but "low and slow" would not be the way to go with this stuffed bird.

Regards,
Chris

What a great idea...! Stuffing one bird inside another... /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif and calling it Turduckens... What about a whole Pig, a boneless coon and a boneless possum ... Lol .. And call it a "picooposs" /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ... Rotflmao ... Hehehehe!!!!

Cheers!!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Harvey:
[qb] What a great idea...! Stuffing one bird inside another... /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif and calling it Turduckens... What about a whole Pig, a boneless coon and a boneless possum ... Lol .. And call it a "picooposs" /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ... Rotflmao ... Hehehehe!!!!

Cheers!!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually, you're not far off from the origin of the turducken. I have read somewhere that the turducken is the less wasteful version of decadent ancient Roman tradition, where a single truffle and piece of foie gras is stuffed into a quail. The quail stuffed into a squab. the Squab stuffed into a game hen. A game hen stuffed into a chicken. Chicken into duck. Duck into Turkey. Turkey into a suckling pig. Suckling pig into a Calf. Calf stuffed into a cow, and the whole thing roasted underground for 24 hours.

After it was all unearthed, the emperor would eat only the original truffle and foie gras, and throw the rest away! The assumption being that the truffle and foie gras were now "flavored properly for the emperor." As for the rest of all that meat, it went to the servants when the big cheese wasn't looking.

A little food trivia for you!

I have been threatening my wife for years that I was gonna order a Turduchen for Christmas dinner because Cabela's usually has them in their Christmas cataloge. "Over my dead body" has been the typical response.

Although I am an extremly new member here I thought I would give you some info on Turducken. I have made 2 of them from scratch using Paul Pruhdone's recipe. I am new to smoking and have just purchased my Weber Bullet and did not have the opportunity to smoke the Turducken. However, the recipe calls for slow cooking in the oven at 225 for 12 hours, so I do not see how it could be any different at the same temp in the smoker.

The reason why you dont want this to cook this slowly is you have a chicken inside a duck inside a turky. How long do you think it will take for the chicken and duck to even reach 100* let alone 140* Here is a link to this previouse discussion
with a link in the post to what the USDA recomends and the hazards of this kind of practice.
11 Hour Smoked Turky

Ive gone to K- Pauls in New Orleans many times. It is a great establishment. But if thats how Paul
cooks this,I wont be ordering it if its on the menue.
Thanks for the tip!
Jim

Brinning the chicken and duck with TenderQuick in the brine would make it something I would cook but I would still cook at temps closer to 275 to 300?.
Jim

Jim you are probably right, but the 2 times I made it in the oven it cooked for 12 hours and came out great. No one got sick either.

I realize the Turducken discussed here is pre-assembled, but my immediate thought was to smoke the three birds first, then bone them and assemble the turducken. It would probably be a two day affair since you'd have to let them cool down before you could bone them. Once you have the whole thing assembled you'd just need to heat it through and be sure the dressing is cooked.

I've never tried boning a chicken after the fact, at least not when it mattered that it stay pretty much in one piece. I don't know if it would be any more difficult that when it's raw. I know the description for boning the birds while leaving them mostly intact was quite complicated. It would probably be even more so if the flesh was falling apart. Probably want to slightly undercook them the first time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back