Smoked Tri-Tip

G

My butcher gave me the wrong package. instead of an 11 lb brisket, I have 4 regular tri-tips. Since I don't want to drive 35 miles back to his shop, does anybody have any suggestions on smoking time for 4 tri-tips on a WSM? I am planning to use a wet rub, and smoke at +/- 225. Thanks for any help you can give.

At least when he made the mistake he gave you something desireable!

Cook time is likely to be 2 hours but qualified: thickness of your tris, desired internal temp at finish, and how cold (or not) they are at the outset will add or subtract from there. Imo, it is still best to finish with a sear for better flavor and texture. As you probably know you can do them at high heat with a finishing sear as well--takes ~35-55 min, depending on the above factors. I like a med-rare finish but have gone as high as med/med-well for guests with no problems.

Happy Smoke Day and enjoy your tris--they're a favorite.

There is a tri-tip recipe in the cooking section that is great. Cook at 300-350 degrees though, tri tip is best medium-rare or medium. It's tender without low and slow.

-gbeck

I often take my Tris to med-well since i don't do mooing meat.
icon_eek.gif
They come out just dandy. I use the Susie Q's Santa Maria Seasoning from the cooking section recipe. That's wonderful stuff.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
I often take my Tris to med-well since i don't do mooing meat.
icon_eek.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan, tri-tip cooked to medium well?
icon_razz.gif
. Oh the horror, oh the humanity...
icon_wink.gif
If it suits you, my friend, that's great. I never cook tri beyond medium rare; but to each their own.
I actually sear the roasts first, over a very hot bed of coals, on the lower grate and then move them up to the top grate, put on the lid and cook to about 135 internal. The process usually takes less than an hour, total. I use oak for the smoke wood, and despite the initial sear, I do get a nice smoke ring and flavor. This process is done sans pan BTW.
MMM, tri-tip. Anyway you like it, it's GOOOOOOD.

Jim
--

I don't care for mine still mooing either. I take mine to around 140 then sear over the coals for five minutes. I did one a while back that went to 145 by accident. It was not as tender to say the least.

I don't mind the center being pink, but when it is still bleeding it's still mooing to me.

I had a friend in the Marine Corps. that when we went to a steak house he would tell them to brown both sides.
icon_eek.gif
To each his own. He would have fun with it too. One time he would tell them to brown it the next he would say to warm it up. I can't remember what all them were but is was funny to see the waitress facial expressions when he would lay it on.

Use your meat thermometer and cook to about 135º internal. Tritip won't take long to cook; it's not like a brisket or pork butt that neads to break down connective tissue. You can also cook Tri-Tip hotter than 250 if you like, so you can leave the water pan empty.

Did you get the brisket price for the tris? Dude, hook me up with that butcher! I'll be like, yeah, give me 10 of those, uh, triangular briskets...$1.50/lb right? Right...
icon_smile.gif

I've gotten into the habit of doing tri-tip's on the kettle. Rub then sear, then indirect until 135. Into double foil for 10-15 minutes, it ends up with a ton of juice in the foil. I pull the roast out and slice it up into thin slices across the grain then right back into the foil with the juice. The foil "bowl" is the serving dish, we just crack it open and pluck out a piece or two at a time then close it back up. Mmmm. Got two in the fridge for tonight's dinner.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestions. They go on about noon Sunday; I'll pass along my results.

Back