Smoked Salmon

Fred Montana

I would like to smoke up some salmon useing the dry rub and finishing rub Jim Minion uses which I found on the virtual weber bullet home page. The problem I have is that I will be mailing the salmon out of country and due to the estimated delivery time I am concerned about spoilage. I can not ship with dry ice and the ice packets will not last. Jim's recipe for the dry rub is basically 1 cup sugar, 1 cup salt and 10 tablespoons of spices. I thought i might be able to add InstaCure #1. Does anyone have any information on how much InstaCure #1 I should add to the above recipe and how long I should let it cure before smoking? Maybe InstaCure #1 can not be used in a dry rub. I have used brine in the past with good success but Jim's dry rub recipe sounds really good. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You could smoke it per Jim's recipe then freeze and vacuum pack with a food saver type device. Then place into a small styrofoam cooler with several ice packs. Should be good for quite a while.

Oh, by the way the recipe is awesome.

Back