Smoked Salmon Question

Chris Brown

TVWBB Member
I’m a real rookie here with the WSM, so forgive me for what may seem as elementary questions. I will be using my WSM for only the second time. This weekend I will be smoking coho salmon filets. I probably will be brining them and want to use a smoke around 225F. A couple of questions:

1. Should I use water in the water pan or go with a foil-lined dry pan?

2. Should a temp. probe be inserted into filet?

Thanks in advance for helping a lost smoker-dude.
Chris

It would be easier to keep your temperature down with water in the pan. Since your unit is new it is probably running hot as well. I usually don't use water but it is definately harder to control the temps. Also make sure you adjust your vent settings when you hit about 200 degrees (catch the temp on the way up), this way you can settle in at about 225, it is harder to get the temps back down.

As for the probe, I personally wouldn't bother but it's all preference. I would just check it every now and again until it has the consistency you are after.

Good luck!

Clark

To help keep the temp down, you will need some sort of heat sink, whether it is water, clay pot, sand, fire bricks or other pan modifications. I personally am now a huge fan of the 14 inch (36 cm) clay dish set in the empty water pan (both foiled). As Clark said, start temp correcting early. It is so much easier and faster to correct from low to high at the start. I now start closing down vents at 180 or so and it coasts into 225 nicely. Good luck with your second smoke! I don’t use a probe with salmon, just sample on the way.

Back