Smoked Salmon on my Perfomer

Regina S

TVWBB Pro
Hi Guys/Gals. I just recieved some wonderful Western Red Alder wood, chips and chunks. I would like to know the set up for my performer to smoke some salmon. Should I use the chunks or chips? What salmon is best Coho thicker or Sockeye? I looked in the cooking section and it was for the WSM. Do I follow that recipe and brine first also?
Thank you all so very much in advance for your answers.

You can use either chips or chunks. If the former, place in foil pouches.

Either type of salmon works fine. Your choice.

I brine and would suggesr it. The method I use is here, but you could go with the other recipe. Either will work on your cooker. Just make typical adjustments.

Hey thanks Kevin for such a quck response. I will look up the links. Just trying to figure out the charcoal and water pan setup.

In a kettle I mini-Minion on borh sides (smaller piles of unlit, 2-3 lit on top of each), restrict the vents from the outset, and put the fish in the middle, between the piles. I don't bother with water. If you wish, you could put it below the fish.

I have smoked quite a bit of cedar planked salmon on my Performer and my method is similar to Kevin's although I have never brined. I typically rub with salt and pepper and then use a Dijon and Honey based wet marinade.

My long time brine for smoking salmon

1.5 quarts water
½ cup salt – non-iodized
½ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
3 oz. Honey
A few shakes of Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon chopped/minced garlic
Pepper top

It’s easier to get the salt, sugar and honey do dissolve if you heat the mixture a bit.

Brine for at least 12 hours, rinse in cold water, pat dry and then air dry until pellicle develops. Smoke at low temps (bet my Little Chief Smoker stays under 100 degrees) until desired constancy/dryness is achieved, 8-12hrs.

Coho fillets are likely to be thicker and a bit more forgiving than sockeye. Depending on where both are from though will influence the amount of fat/oil in the fillets and the finished product. Personally I’d go with the coho over sockeye regardless (should be cheaper per pound and you are not likely to be able to tell the difference between the two if prepared the same).

I’m going to guess you were more interested in “faster” grilling/smoking these but figured I post just in case I was wrong.

I have yet to do any seafood on my webers. I've read that the fish could alter the flavor of any meat you cook after you have cooked the seafood. Kevin is this true? This is the main reason why I have held off.

I did just pick up a performer that I plan on using for meats and using my mastertouch for fish.

Richard I have grilled fish on my performer. After I have cooked it and the grill is cool, I make sure I get rid of all the spent charcoal and brush out the leftover ash,as well as dumping the ash catcher. The next grilling session I make sure the grill itself is super hot and scrape it very well. I have not had a problem with any smell leftover. Kevin can add a more professional opinion, or others in what they do to clean it. However it is a good idea to keep them on separate grills that way you can be sure.

Originally posted by Richard Diaz:
I have yet to do any seafood on my webers. I've read that the fish could alter the flavor of any meat you cook after you have cooked the seafood. Kevin is this true? This is the main reason why I have held off.

I did just pick up a performer that I plan on using for meats and using my mastertouch for fish.

i do lots of salmon and have not noticed this at all in my performer. HMM maybe the beer has finally killed my taste buds?

One more tip for keeping the grill from smelling like fish. I use foil trays to cook the fish in. Easy to make with 3-4 layers of heavy aluminum foil, fold the edges up to form a 1” lip to prevent juices/oil from the fish dripping into the grill. When salmon is done the meat will easily separate from the skin (remove with a large spatula). You can either remove the tray now or let it cool on the rack, either way once it is cool all you have to do is fold up the foil and throw it away.

I’ll make the tray, add the salmon fillet, add spices, start cooking the salmon, add several pats of butter on top of the fillet and then about five minutes before it’ll be done I add several large shrimp to the mix. The shrimp will cook quickly in the fish juices/oil and melted butter picking up the spices you used, flip them once or twice. By far the best way to cook spring Chinook.

the only problem I've ever had w/ cooking fish in my charcoal cookers is one time I cooked tilapia over boneless/skinless chicken breasts. The fat seeped into the chicken. Yuck! As for residual smell/taste problems? Not an issue IMO.

Originally posted by Regina S:
Richard I have grilled fish on my performer. After I have cooked it and the grill is cool, I make sure I get rid of all the spent charcoal and brush out the leftover ash,as well as dumping the ash catcher. The next grilling session I make sure the grill itself is super hot and scrape it very well. I have not had a problem with any smell leftover. Kevin can add a more professional opinion, or others in what they do to clean it. However it is a good idea to keep them on separate grills that way you can be sure.
You said it well.

If after coking fish the coals continue to burn I don't worry about the coals as they will burn off drppings. The grate I clean well with a brush, after removing the fish and before the next cook, whether it is immediate or days later. No problems.

Back