smoked pheasant?

Michael Stella

TVWBB Member
Has anyone ever smoked a pheasant?

My mom wants me to smoke one, and gave me a farm raised pheasant. Should I just do it like a marinated chicken?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

Haven't done one myself Mike, but have eaten them, and they are tasty.
I think you could cook it like a small chicken, keeping in mind it will be done sooner.

Personally, when it comes to cooking small flying animals, I prefer to smoke bats. There's a little more white meat.

I KID! I KID!

Michael,

I've done it a few times, and my dad does it often. Contrary to smoking a chicken, I usually low and slow it. I figure pheasant is a little tougher than chicken and benefits from low and slow. On the other hand, it makes the skin rubbery. I enjoy the meat on sandwhiches, but I have to say...it isn't very appetizing to eat straight like chicken.

On the other hand, I have an awesome recipe for pheasant in a sour cream sauce. About 10,000 calories and 5000 grams of fat, but it's great!

I don't think it benefits from low/slow. It gets tough/stringy if overcooked so that must be avoided.

I'd butterfly then straight-brine it (you could flavor-brine if you prefer). I'd make a simple saltless rub of a couple herbs and a few spices and mix a little of that into some unsalted butter that's been allowed to soften and this I'd gently work under the skin. I'd lightly oil the outside of the bird, sprinkle lightly with rub, then smoke/roast at 450 or so till the breast was just cooked through (with a hint of pink near the bone), about 30-35 min.

Or--

I'd butterfly it, cracking bones as necessary so that it would lay flat, pierce the breast and legs in several places (using a thin, sharp blade). I'd make a marinade (Likely white wine and fresh herbs with a hint of garlic and a touch of oil; or wine with garlic and ginger anda touch of oil), then marinate breast-side down, flat in a Zip-loc or glass dish, for 6-8 hours. Then I'd grill/roast, turning every 10 ikn orso and basting with the marinade, till done as above, about 35-40 min.

Just a couple thoughts.

Back