Smoked NY steaks with Thai peanut dipping sauce and fried rice

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Didn’t grab all the pics. Was working the kitchen and grill.

Smoked these hand cut NY steaks for 50 minutes till 95° and then pulled them for rest.

Then cranked up the grill for searing and pulling at 125-127°F then rested before slicing for dinner.

Made some fresh rolls with red leaf lettuce, carrots, cabbage and Persian cucumbers wrapped in rice paper. No pics, sorry.

Whipped up a Thai peanut dipping sauce for the rolls and steaks.

1723352419953.jpeg

1723352436061.jpeg

1723352455495.jpeg

The smoke session

1723352485041.jpeg

After smoke and rest, cranked up the coals for searing.

1723352534088.jpeg

Rested for 10 minutes then sliced

1723352571699.jpeg

1723352593702.jpeg

Fried rice

1723352630995.jpeg

Sugar snap peas with garlic

1723352658363.jpeg

Around one steak as leftovers. Dinner was 5 adults total.

1723352703951.jpeg

Missed the pics of the wine which was a 2015 Kunde Zinfandel.

And dessert was a peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream.

Amazing dinner and amazing sunset.

Feeling blessed. Life is good and is to be enjoyed.

Last edited:
How low of temp during those first 50 minutes?
Temp was around 200°. I placed a wick (beef tallow wrapped in a paper towel) at the front corner of each CB ad added 5 briqs atop and near the wicks. Then torched the wicks to light them.

It was a very slow and efficient burn with the barrel stave atop the CI grate with the lid covered. I ran 3 temp probes into the Signals and pulled off each steak when they reached 93-95° so each steak could rest before the sear.

When all steaks were done smoking, I then fully opened the WSK bottom vent and the rapid fire lid to get up to searing temp. Searing temps were reading around 450° on the lid dial.

Then I seared with the lid open to maximize airflow and temps. Did a bunch of flips and thermapen probed the steaks for doneness as I seared.

1723390748160.png

Last edited:
When you do a reverse sear like this, do you start with the charcoal on the lower grate, then move it up to the higher grate for the sear?

Also, about how quick would you say it takes the grill to get up to searing temperature from 200? Do you add any additional charcoal or anything for the sear?

When you do a reverse sear like this, do you start with the charcoal on the lower grate, then move it up to the higher grate for the sear?

Also, about how quick would you say it takes the grill to get up to searing temperature from 200? Do you add any additional charcoal or anything for the sear?
All done on upper grate in a low and slow fashion.

The coals were slow lit by the wick method described and the bottom vent kept choked down so the coals didn’t light up for high heat.

This was a hybrid type of cook. I had residual JD in the char baskets right behind the new B&B briqs I added for the low and slow part (smoking).

The ramp up for the sear took around 10-15 minutes with the bottom vent fully open and the rapid chimney popped upwards to full open.

There was no need to add more coal as I had the CBs preloaded with used JD which when the WSK was opened for airflow.

Steaks cook quickly with direct heat so you really don’t need a lot of fuel.

Back