Smoked my 1st whole packer yesterday

Jon K

TVWBB Super Fan
I've done flats before and they've come out well, not perfect (whatever that is)but they were very good. Yesterday I smoked a whole packer, WSM,top rack, foiled empty bowl. dome temps between 220-270f, fat cap at bottom,took off when int. temp was 195 and tender to probing and foil wrapped. When I went to cut it to package and freeze, the "bottom of the flat was hard and somewhat dry and became more moist as you got closer to the top of the flat. Should I have flipped the brisket during the cook (top to bottom)?

Now, let me say that this is the 1st time I've had the point, and while it can stand more rendering, that was the richest most delicious piece of meat I've ever tried.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Not sure what you mean by bottom of flat and top of flat.
Maybe you mean the thin end and the thick end?
For me when I do a full packer I have found that the thin end of the flat cooks faster and tends to dry out. Last one I did I put foil under the thin end to deflect some of the high heat around the edge of the wsm. Helped a lot.
HTH
Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve, what I meant was after the point was removed and I went to slice the brisket, the bottom of the flat (part that rested on the grate) was a little dry and the top of the flat (where the point was removed) was nice and juicy. My question was whether I should have flipped the brisket at some point in the cook and put it point side down.

Always cook whole packers point down for this reason, no need to flip. Whether I do low n slow or med or high heat I always foil at 160ish as this will even out the cut of meat. All large cuts of meat are done by thickness, not weight. Also if done to the perfect tenderness don't foil right away, tent for 10-20min then foil so it doesn't keep cooking!

Well, I'm confused!
You said you cooked "fat down" then say " bottom of the flat (part that rested on the grate)". As I understand it the point is the piece with the fat cap.
If you cooked with the flat on the grill maybe that is why it seemed dry. I always do mine fat cap (point) down though there have been many discussions on what is best and most agree "whatever works for you".
Have you done burnt ends. If not, do a search and give it a try. My family likes them more than the brisket.
HTH
Steve

Back