Smoked Mexican Fiesta Chicken

Mike Coffman

TVWBB Olympian
Picked up a 6.98 pound roaster. Marinated for 4 hours with Grill Mates Mexican Fiesta marinade after being spatchcocked.
DSC_6265.jpg

Chicken out of the marinade and coated with Penzeys Adobo seasoning.
DSC_6277.jpg

Put onto the WSM, without a water pan and a chimney of hot KB with 1 chunk of pecan and 1 chunk peach.
DSC_6278.jpg

DSC_6280.jpg

Chicken was at 170 internal after 1 hour 20 minutes. Chicken removed and tented to rest for a bit.
DSC_6284.jpg

Plated with a pasta salad. I know, plenty of room on the plate, but going to be a good long weekend with plenty
of good vittles and I'm saving room
icon_biggrin.gif
DSC_6286.jpg

Was able to maintain an average temp of about 385. Skin wasn’t quite as crispy as I like so maybe next time will shoot for
a higher temp. Chicken was very moist and delicious.

Thanks for looking.

Dang Mike! You nailed it! I never knew chicken could look that good! Bet it was Great!

Super cook and pic's.

Dang that looks great. I can't wait to try this flattened chicken thing.....kinda looks like you cooked a chicken that didn't quite make it across the road...who cares why he was trying...and anyway, I always wondered while I was playing Atari 2600, why the frog was trying to cross the road...mmmmtasty chicken

Great Bird Mike!
I believe this method of cooking shé~cone is the best.

Good deal on the cost of that bird too!

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. Jim, totally agree about cooking the bird this way. First time I did a whole chicken with only a drip pan below, this time, nothing but coals. Also, a first time spatchcocking too! Tried to follow Chris A's tutorial and guess it didn't come out too bad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Chicken was very moist and delicious. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have no doubt. Great chicken Mike.

I have a spatched chicken on like that right now. I had to do it after all of the posts lately on direct birds. I hope mine looks half that good Mike.

Back