Smoked Meatloaf Take #1

Sam B

TVWBB Member
Took a stab at smoked meatloaf last night. I was planning to do it on Sunday, but the weather here wasn't having it.

I used the "Old Man Jim's Meatloaf" recipe from this thread: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?28144-Ole-Man-Jim-s-Meat-Loaf&highlight=meatloaf

I followed the recipe pretty strictly except I made half a batch and didn't cook the glaze before putting in on the meatloaf.

I made two smaller loaves, one in the loaf pan, one molded in the loaf pan and turned out on a perforated aluminum pan.
IMG_1809-L.jpg

I smoked them on the 14.5 " WSM. I had to bend in the corners of the aluminum pan, but got them to fit.

Target temp was 275 with Stubb's briquettes and two large chunks of pecan wood. Sorry, no pics of the smoker setup. Under a little time pressure since it was a weeknight.

Here they are coming off the smoker. It took just under 2.5 hours total. I added the glaze about 30 mins before taking them off the smoker.
IMG_1810-L.jpg

The preforations didn't drain like I thought they would. I even poked a few holes in the loaf pan when I put on the glaze.

Ready for slicing:
IMG_1813-L.jpg

No plated pics. Overall very good. I think I liked the one not in the loaf pan better, but not totally sure yet. I may have overcooked or over mixed them a little.

Very tasty. will be doing this again, maybe with a few small modifications.

Thanks for looking.

When I smoke a meat loaf I put down a layer of heavy duty foil, or a double layer of regular, just about an 1" or so bigger than the loaf right on the top rack then plop the meat directly on to that. That allows for some of the extra fat to run off onto the fire, well ok, on to the foil covered waterpan. This really cuts down on the greasiness.

Nice job Sam. I really like the looks of this recipe. Love the color the red bell pepper gives the meatloaf. Will definitely be giving it a try. I use Barb's method of a rack in the pan also. Gets the meat out of the drippings, not sitting in it. Thanks for posting Old Man Jim's Recipe!

Back