Smoked (jerkied) Marlin

Kevin K

TVWBB Fan
Hard part about this is you need a REAL low heat (100 degrees is good). Hard to do on the WSM.

Smoked Marlin Jerky

Step 1 - catch one

Step 2 - Filet into 1' long chunks. Remove dark meat & save for bait. Slice the remaining meat into strips 1.5"x1 foot.

Step 3 - Prepare marinade in ratios provided
* 1 quart Kikomen soy sauce
* 1 lb. dark brown sugar
* 2 cloves /or 1teaspoon garlic salt
* 1 teaspoon pepper
* Other spices if desired: thyme,cayenne, whatever.

Step 4 - Marinate in 1 gallon ziplocks for 24 hours. Drip/dry on racks for 2-3 hours.

Step 5 - Hang in smoker on "S" shaped coat hanger hooks of lengths from 1" to 7". Strips are hung from top of smoker at different levels to maximize space.

Step 6 - Smoking: Add hickory chips. Time in smoker till jerky-like, can take as much as 48 hours. Add chips as necessary.

You can get down to 90-100*F by using only 3-4 briquets in a litte wire basket. I did this once when smoking cheese for an hour of so, but it would be hard to maintain for 48 hours!

Actually, I've done this on an electric smoker, and it doesn't take 48 hours! Maybe if you did a whole fish, but I clean and cut the fish first, and don't usually cook that much at a time.

Also, the trade off is higher heat - shorter shelf life. You can extend this by vacuum packing and freezing.

Mine doesn't last too long on the shelf for other reasons!

k

It sounds like too much time spent trying to get jerk fish. My friend's father in Molokai smokes fish in a 55 gal. home made contraption and dries the fish in a dry box for about 3-5 days. Fish like akule, halalu, and opelu come out great and without all the time spent watching or staying home. Akule is Big Eyed scad, Halahu is a juvenile Big Eyed scad, and opelu is a smaller mackerel scad. A dry box is a wooden box made with window screen on all sides to keep the pests out which is used to dry all sorts of foods. I did a Uhu ( Parrot Fish ) stuffed with onions, cellery, mushrooms, bacon, portugese sausage, mayonaise, garlic, lupchong wraped in heavy foil and smoked for 4 hours on high heat in my Green Egg ( Komado ) and it was "ONO!!". I figure you guys in the mainland could use snapper, mullet, sea bass. Salt & Pepper the fish, smear mayonaise outside and inside, stuff with onions, bell pepper, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, cellery and wrap in heavy duty foil. Use high heat to get past the foil to steam the fish cook 2 hours, then flip over and cook another 2 hours and then enjoy! Try to precook the bacon and sausage to cut some of the grease, otherwise the fish will be good but a little too oily. Aloha.

Back