Smoked French Dip Help

BWalker

TVWBB Member
Hey folks. I'm making French Dip tonight and decided I wanted to put a different spin on it. I would like to smoke the roast for a bit before transferring it all to a crock pot to cook on low w/some dark beer, beef broth, and french onion soup. The question is what temp should I pull the roast and transfer to the crock pot? And then how long should I cook in the crock pot? Much appreciated!

It all depends on your roast size, the temp your cooking at in the smoker and the temp you cook at in your crock pot.
You would probably be best off to smoke it low and slow for an hour or so as after about two hours it won't take on any extra flavor from the smoke. That is assuming you want to have a smoke flavor, you have so many other strong flavors in there as it is. Especially with the dark beer.
Why not just do the whole thing like a Pepper Stout Beef in the smoker. You can do it at higher heat if you are in a time situation?

sounds alot like a Pepper Stout Beef, I would do it all in the smoker. But Leave it in smoker for like 2 hours heavy on the smoke because some of it will wash out in the crock pot.

Smoked French Dip sandwiches are incredibly good. All I do is to smoke a brisket the regular way and then sliceit thinly.

Then cut the fat off the brisket slices and put both the meat and fat into commercial onion soup. Heat the meat and fat in the soup to flavor it.

Remove fat and meat from soup and discard fat. Place meat on toasted Hoagie bun and use soup for the dip.

You do not have to get too complicated.

You can saute some onions separately and add to bun if you like more onion.

Smoked French Dip sandwiches are incredibly good. All I do is to smoke a brisket the regular way and then sliceit thinly.

Then cut the fat off the brisket slices and put both the meat and fat into commercial onion soup. Heat the meat and fat in the soup to flavor it.

Remove fat and meat from soup and discard fat. Place meat on toasted Hoagie bun and use soup for the dip.

You do not have to get too complicated.

You can saute some onions separately and add to bun if you like more onion.

George, I recently bought a new flavor of Better Than Bouillion -- it's Au Jus and it's quite good. I used it several times to add some beef flavor to a pot roast and something else I cooked inside and was really impressed by the beef flavor it added. And I don't even like purchased beef broth.

Well, anyway, Brian smoked an eye of round last weekend and since I liked the flavor so much, I followed the directions on the jar to make "au jus" for the meat. I think it was a teaspoon of the stuff in hot water. It was darn good in lieu of a real au jus. Brian sliced up the rest of the eye of round the next day and I put it in the fridge soaking in the au jus I'd mixed up. Really, really good. Would be perfect for French Dip, too, so I thought I'd mention it.

Back