Smoked Eye of Round Sammies

Bill Hays

TVWBB Platinum Member
I decided to smoke an eye of round beef roast as per D. L. Whitehead's method today and it tured out quite well.
icon_cool.gif

Started wth an @ 4.5 lb eye of round roast, lightly trimmed and lightly coated with salt, pepper and granulated onion
icon_biggrin.gif
. Fired the WSM up with original Kingsford and brought her up to 225º with the bbq guru. Put the roast and 2 fatties on and threw a packet of apple/cherry pellets on the coals. Pulled the fatties off after 3 or so hours.

Here's the roast after a 30 minute rest along with my new 10" Chinese slicer.

Half of the roast, thinly sliced.

Time to eat!

Bill

Looks fantastic Bill. How long did the roast cook? What was the internal temp when you removed from the WSM?

Bob W.

That looks fantastic Bill! Nice colors and cool slicer... I need one of those! Did you save the juices in the pan on the lower grate? I did one of those cuts but I didn't get much good juice outta mine. How was it when sliced... juicy to an extreme or just mildly juicy?

Looks fantastic Bill.
icon_cool.gif
I picked up a small (3.71lb) whole cryo'd E-O-R at BJ's on wed to do on the kettle. Been a few years since I used the kettle, poor thing. How do you like your new slicer?

That really looks good Bill, I was suprised how well the slices held togther. I dunno why, I expected that eye of round to turn into a shaved mess.

Did you temp it when you removed from the WSM? Did you let the meat cool or slice it still warm?

Thanks guys. The roast took right at 7 hours, cooking at around 225º, to get to 145º (it was 5.3 lbs i think). I did bump the WSM temp up to 240º for the last hour. I would rather have pulled it at 140º but I think I would have had issues with the family. In the end, I should have pulled it earlier. It wasn’t as moist as I had hoped but wasn’t dry either. I did this per D. L.’s method and there was water in the pan for moisture so I didn’t save that. There was, however, some juice after resting for 30 minutes from the probe and thermapen holes and that was poured back over the sliced meat.

The meat slicer worked like a pro! Sliced that roast up super thin with ease. Sliced that Vidalia onion with it too.

Next time, I’ll pull at 140º and only rest or 10 to 15 minutes.

Thanks again, guys.
icon_cool.gif

Bill

Looks great Bill. Good luck with that slicer. I stay away from those things. I don't want to be known as 8 fingers Dave.

Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Thanks guys. The roast took right at 7 hours, cooking at around 225º, to get to 145º (it was 5.3 lbs i think). I did bump the WSM temp up to 240º for the last hour. I would rather have pulled it at 140º but I think I would have had issues with the family. In the end, I should have pulled it earlier. It wasn’t as moist as I had hoped but wasn’t dry either. I did this per D. L.’s method and there was water in the pan for moisture so I didn’t save that. There was, however, some juice after resting for 30 minutes from the probe and thermapen holes and that was poured back over the sliced meat.Bill

Wonderful smoke Bill!!!

Since I'm pretty much responsible for this smoke, the burning questions are: Did you like it? Did it pretty much live up to your expectations? Are you going to do it again? Would you recommend it to someone else?

I think I estimated about 1 to 1-1/4 hours per pound. Yours came out to about 1.32 hours per pound. That's pretty close. The roasts of similar weight that I cook are usually somewhat longer and thinner than the one you cooked. Shape and physical size important factors and might explain a little of why yours took a bit longer. Plus, you undoubtedly controlled the heat better than I do on my grill. And, there might be some other slight differences in cooking between a WSM and a OTG.

As you said, it wasn't as moist as you had hoped, but not as dry either. Eye of the round is about 73 percent water raw. If I remember correctly, they are about 7 percent fat. Often, what we think of as moisture is confused with juiciness. Since the cut is so lean, it won't be very juicy. Juiciness is related to fat content. Being less juicy may make one think it is less moist--but, it really is not less moist. One can see that in your photos and in mine--eye of the round done this way is moist and not dry. I've never smoked one that wasn't moist and yours really looks quite moist too.

I don't think there was ever a better choice for a lean piece of meat than a low and slow smoked eye of the round.

Did it shrink much?

It looks like you did an outstanding job in preparing this meat. I truly hope you enjoyed it!

###

Originally posted by D. L. Whitehead:

Wonderful smoke Bill!!!

Since I'm pretty much responsible for this smoke, the burning questions are: Did you like it? Did it pretty much live up to your expectations? Are you going to do it again? Would you recommend it to someone else?

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Thanks D. L. I loved it !! As did my wife. My son (11 tomorrow) liked it (he’s a very picky eater and hates to try new stuff) and my 7 YO daughter has been on a vegetarian kick for the last week so she had sketti (where do kids get this from???). I really didn’t know what to expect but thought it would be more like roast beef. “I’ve” never cooked an EOR before but will definitely do it again. I might try a higher heat next time though. The texture of the EOR is similar to a pork loin so I wonder if brining might help? Also, this was prepped right out of the fridge and I wonder if allowing it to come up to room temp might help as well… And yeah, I would definitely recommend this to others.</span>

I think I estimated about 1 to 1-1/4 hours per pound. Yours came out to about 1.32 hours per pound. That's pretty close. The roasts of similar weight that I cook are usually somewhat longer and thinner than the one you cooked. Shape and physical size important factors and might explain a little of why yours took a bit longer. Plus, you undoubtedly controlled the heat better than I do on my grill. And, there might be some other slight differences in cooking between a WSM and a OTG.

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">There were 4 to choose from in the cooler (Sam’s) and this was the largest. I was looking for more of a roast cook vs. a loin type cook which is why I chose this one. Yeah, the bbq guru does a great job in controlling the WSM.</span>

As you said, it wasn't as moist as you had hoped, but not as dry either. Eye of the round is about 73 percent water raw. If I remember correctly, they are about 7 percent fat. Often, what we think of as moisture is confused with juiciness. Since the cut is so lean, it won't be very juicy. Juiciness is related to fat content. Being less juicy may make one think it is less moist--but, it really is not less moist. One can see that in your photos and in mine--eye of the round done this way is moist and not dry. I've never smoked one that wasn't moist and yours really looks quite moist too.

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">That’s a lot of water so maybe brining won’t help that much.. I’d still like to try it though.</span>

I don't think there was ever a better choice for a lean piece of meat than a low and slow smoked eye of the round.

Did it shrink much?

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Not really. That 1st pic shows it pretty much the same size as when it went on and the finished product wasn’t that much smaller.</span>

It looks like you did an outstanding job in preparing this meat. I truly hope you enjoyed it!

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">All I had to do was trim some left over fat cap off the bottom .. The part you see is the way it was out of the package. I did enjoy it very much and will be making a couple sammiches shortly.

Thanks again for all the help and inspiration.

Bill</span>

Originally posted by Dave/G:
Looks great Bill. Good luck with that slicer. I stay away from those things. I don't want to be known as 8 fingers Dave.
Hand/Eye coordination!
icon_biggrin.gif
Seriously, it has a meat grip/handler/whatever but I didn't use it this 1st time.

Don't drink and slice!
icon_razz.gif

Bill

Eye rounds are great if you do two things:

1- don't overcook them

2- slice them thin

Looks great with the smoke ring.

Guess I'll have to do one soon.

BTW- I try to pull mine when temps are in the 125 range, that temp usually always leaves different stages of doneness or all.

Back