Smoked Chili?

George Roth

TVWBB Member
I am considering making a pot of chili and finishing it off in my WSM with some type of wood smoke. Any ideas? I can get it going in the house on the stove and then transfer my dutch oven to the WSM.

I figure that a half-chimney of Kingsford, no water pan and some mesquite chips ought to do the trick.

Thanks for any suggestions.

bet that would be good, you could also consider making the chili with smoked meat, like pulled beef

if you're gonna smoke chili that was nearly finished on the stove, based on my experience with doctored beans I'd think at least 4 hours, stirring a couple of times would be the thing

if you want to do it strictly on the WSM I think it might be more like an overnighter, stirring several times

my perspective: I like chili with and without beans ... I like the cumin/cliantro/garlic/lots of heat approach. I always use canned diced tomatoes which are pretty wet so I simmer low on the stove for many hours.

What I normally do is take some leftover slices of smoked brisket and then cut it up into little chunks and use as a substitute for some of the ground beef in the chili (1/3 to 1/2). The chili then takes on a very nice smoky flavor. All of the other ingredients I leave the same.

Yah. Mmmmm....
I usually just use leftover smoked meat (when there IS leftovers! @#^%$^#) in my chili. It gives it plenty of that smokey flavor, and you're able to stay inside, and adjust the spices without risking heat loss like you would outside.

Take the ground meat and spread it out on a pan and smoke it by itself, then assemble the rest of the ingredients. Then you can return it to the WSM and stir it every 1/2 hour. The shallower the pan you use, the more is exposed to the smoke at all times.

I have used my pulled after smoking in chili and pasta sauce, let me tell you it makes the food way better I think you will enjoy your chili with the smoked meat just the same as if you put the whole pot on the Que

Back