Smoked Chicken: February 07, 2021.

Arun L.

TVWBB All-Star
After several attempts since 2017, in February of 2019, I finally made exactly what I was looking for. The "perfect" smoked chicken to me, lots of smoke flavor, and also good seasoning flavor too.

I thought I had finally figured it out, using tips from others I had accumulated over the years. Such as going under the skin; making a compound butter, etc.

Last month was the first time I made it since 2019, 103 weeks later.

It didn't come out as good. Barely tasted any smoke.

Some differences:

* In 2021, the pit temperature started out too low. It was in the 60s, and took 36 minutes just to get to 200. I don't think I put enough charcoal.

Also, perhaps I should have taken out of the fridge a little earlier, before putting it on the WSM?

In 2019, the pit temperature started at 221, and never went past 293 for the entire cook. I think in 2019, the temperature stayed within the better range.

* My wood chunks had gotten wet the previous weekend, rain accidentally got to them (even though they were supposed to be protected from it). I called the wood company, and they said it shouldn't affect the wood. It did have 4 - 5 days to dry off.

But I don't know, maybe it did impact it.

* I tried finishing the chicken off in the gas grill for 10 mins. I don't think I want to do this again. I didn't need to do it in 2019, and it came out great. I don't think it made the skin that much crispier / better.

* Are the hot coals supposed to go on top of the wood, or is the wood supposed to go on top of the hot coals?

From looking at my picture sequence in 2019, I might have done the hot coals on top of the wood then.

However, I did make some other smoked things in 2020 (not whole poultry), and I did the wood on top of the hot coals. They came out fine.

This time in 2021, I did the wood on top of the hot coals. But as I said, I barely tasted any smoke.

I wasn't completely disappointed with the chicken, because the seasoning flavor came out great. I think getting under the skin again, like I had also done previously in 2019, helps with this.

But, in order for me to really say I've mastered this, I have to start replicating what I did in 2019 a few times.

I also don't think I can wait 103 weeks again to do this, I have to keep at it sooner so I can keep the good habits / practices in mind.

Pics:

Bump?

Would not having previously wet wood, and having a higher initial pit temp, have made great this like my 2019 cook?

Hi Arun - I am also trying to perfect my beer can style smoked chicken. I made it a couple of weeks ago with Kosmo's dirty bird rub on my 22" WSM with pecan chunks. The meat and smoke flavor was good but the skin was chewy (inedible.). I ran my WSM at 250 and cooked for about 2.5 hours and the bird was 165 or so when I took it off the cooker.....

* In 2021, the pit temperature started out too low. It was in the 60s, and took 36 minutes just to get to 200. I don't think I put enough charcoal. -You're on the right track, starting with the right amount of lit charcoal is important. It depends on weather conditions too. If it's cold or windy outside, I start with more lit charcoal, if it's not windy or cold, i start with less.

Now - I don't think having your wood chunks get a little wet is a big deal. Wood really doesn't absorb water that much. If you didn't get wood flavor, maybe your wood chunks are stale? Check out this thread; does smoke wood go stale? Also, if you're looking for "strong" smoke flavor maybe you're using a mild smoke wood (like oak or pecan) and need to go with something stronger like hickory?

Next time I try a beer can chicken, I'm going to look up a recipe that calls for using baking soda in the rub, and probably run around 275F in my WSM to see if I can get the skin crispy like I want it. If the skin isn't looking/feeling crispy when the chicken is around 150F, I may try moving the bird over to my gas grill and do some indirect high heat.

Pulling the bird out of the fridge 10 minutes or so before putting it on the smoker can't hurt in my opinion.

Maybe starting the smoker off at a higher heat (maybe around 300 to 350 or so) to render off more fat from the skin in the beginning (first hour or so) is something worth trying.

I'll post some pics/more thoughts next time I make a beer can chicken.

I find the secret for good chicken skin using my WSM has been an empty water pan (or no water pan) and getting the pit up to 325-350 degrees. I know you’re talking beer can chicken but I’ve had better luck spatchcocking the bird. It seems to deliver better chicken and skin in my experience.

One more thing came to mind. I like to dry brine my chicken as it adds a bit more flavor, helps with crispy skin and keeps the meat moist.

Hi Arun - I am also trying to perfect my beer can style smoked chicken. I made it a couple of weeks ago with Kosmo's dirty bird rub on my 22" WSM with pecan chunks. The meat and smoke flavor was good but the skin was chewy (inedible.). I ran my WSM at 250 and cooked for about 2.5 hours and the bird was 165 or so when I took it off the cooker.....

* In 2021, the pit temperature started out too low. It was in the 60s, and took 36 minutes just to get to 200. I don't think I put enough charcoal. -You're on the right track, starting with the right amount of lit charcoal is important. It depends on weather conditions too. If it's cold or windy outside, I start with more lit charcoal, if it's not windy or cold, i start with less.

Now - I don't think having your wood chunks get a little wet is a big deal. Wood really doesn't absorb water that much. If you didn't get wood flavor, maybe your wood chunks are stale? Check out this thread; does smoke wood go stale? Also, if you're looking for "strong" smoke flavor maybe you're using a mild smoke wood (like oak or pecan) and need to go with something stronger like hickory?

Next time I try a beer can chicken, I'm going to look up a recipe that calls for using baking soda in the rub, and probably run around 275F in my WSM to see if I can get the skin crispy like I want it. If the skin isn't looking/feeling crispy when the chicken is around 150F, I may try moving the bird over to my gas grill and do some indirect high heat.

Pulling the bird out of the fridge 10 minutes or so before putting it on the smoker can't hurt in my opinion.

Maybe starting the smoker off at a higher heat (maybe around 300 to 350 or so) to render off more fat from the skin in the beginning (first hour or so) is something worth trying.

I'll post some pics/more thoughts next time I make a beer can chicken.
Thanks.

Ok, from your post, I think the low initial temp was probably a major factor.

I don't think it was the wood, because I used exactly the same ones from 2019. 6 hickory, 4 applewood.

I use this same amount for everything now, and in my other smoked cooks, I've liked how they came out.

What's also more interesting is that the wood I used in February 2019, was from my October 2016 purchase. So the cook in 2019 was using older wood, but still came out great.

The wood is from the Woodshed, one of the suggested vendors in that stale wood thread you linked to.

In May 2020, I bought more wood, so the February 2021 cook was from a newer batch.

Back