Smoked Chicken Breasts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Ok, you guys (and gals) need to help me out here.... I have subverted another of my gasser friends to the WSM way of life. He has committed himself to cooking for a party (10-12 adults) and wants to do chicken breasts (this will be his second WSM cook -- the first being some bb ribs that came out pretty durned good.) He's planning on a brine, then cook hotter (275) with an apricot glaze to finish. I can't think of any reason why this won't work, though I may suggest that he runs closer to 300.

Thoughts, ideas, warnings, other recipes?? I haven't done anything but whole birds or thighs on the WSM.

Thanks!!!

Rich G.

Chris has got a section on brining and cooking boneless, skinless breast. I tried it but wasn't super pleased. There's only so much you can do with BSCB.

I think bone-in breast with rib meat would be more pleasing. He could brine if he wants to but I prefer overnight in Italian WB. I imagine an empty, foiled lined pan would be the way to go and measure temp in breast at 160 unless he needs to hold for awhile and then 155. I like a lemon/pepper seasoning. Of course, not too heavy on smoke wood. I've used cherry and it did well

Paul

Paul-

Thanks. I saw Chris' write-up, and figured I'd poll the regulars here for some ideas as well. I've done Italian dressing with thighs before and it's pretty good. I agree with you that the biggest issue is going to be keeping track of internal temps so that we don't end up with chicken chalk.

Thanks.

R

While I would agree with pulling whole poultry a little early and holding foiled in an ice chest, I think pieces lose heat quickly enough that I would want to take them to at least 160*.

Here is the perfect solution.....a variation on Jumpin' Jim's thigh method.

Marinate in Italian dressing overnight. Rub with your fave spices. Cook at about 250-300? until thermo reads 140? in the middle. Once there, place in aluminum pan and cover with your fave sauce. Let them simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes, then when ready to serve, back onto a HOT grill to crisp them up.

VERY good stuff! They will be very tender and very juicy. This is how I cook my boneless, skinless thighs when catering. I happen to use a kettle and lump as it is easier to get a good sear on them. But you can use the WSM just as well. RAVE reviews from everyone!

Kevin

On your variation of Jumpin" Jim's thigh method on the kettle, how do you set up on the kettle so you're holding temps at 250-300, when you're using lump ? I guess you were suggesting it for boneless, skinless breasts ? Sounds quick and easy which are my two favorite cooking terms - think I'll try it.

Paul

Thanks, guys, for the suggestions.

He ended up doing them with an apple juice/orange juice brine. They were on for about an hour or so at 275 and turned out pretty darned good. The bone in breasts were a bit juicier than the boneless/skinless.

R

Paul.....

I use the MM method for lighting. I have to stack the lump as far to one side as I can.

It ain't easy and quite honestly I have never bothered measuring the actual temp. I'm sure it could be higher than 300?. I rotate and flip the meat quite a bit....makes for a good show...PLUS people see me actually working!! LOL

I then set the foil pan whereever I can get it to simmer slowly.

I have also done the searing first and then finish it on a cooler part of the grill...this actually works a little better(gives the coals time to cool a bit) and I will be doing it this way from now on. If you want to try this way, I light all the lump and spread it out. Once seared, I then push the pile of coals to one side and finish cooking. Usually have to add a little more lump to keep the fires going. I have not perfected my coal usage...still experimenting.

Hope this clarifies things!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back