Smoked Cabbage Cookin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Bissonnette

TVWBB Guru
Put on a cabbage at about 1:15pm. Cored out the head and layered into the hole the following: 1/4 stick of butter, 1tsp of granulated chicken boullion, 1tsp minced garlic, 1tsp bacon bits, 1tbls chopped onion. Made four layers of that in the core.

Then I brushed the outside with EVOO and sprinkled the outside with Montreal Chicken Seasoning.

WSM has settled in at 224 on the top grate, should be done around 6:15pm. Pictures to follow.

Hi Bruce. This is a really interesting recipe. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Did you use any smoke wood?

If you've made this before is the taste of the finer olive oil noticeable?

Do you eat it by peeling the leaves off and dipping in the center ? Or is it cut into chunks ? Is the sauce it the middle a dipping sauce ?

Sounds good...I look forward to seeing the pics.

jeff

Should be close to being done.....
icon_smile.gif

I can't wait to try the cabbage! I was gonna try it Sunday, but I just got two free tickets to go see Brooks & Dunn and Montgomery Gentry! Woo hoo!

OK folks here you go, go to the following:

Smoked Cabbage

Click on the Smoked Cabbage album

First some observations:

1. My WSM averaged right around 229/230 for the entire 5 hour cook and the cabbage was still quite aldente', as they say, now if you like your cabbage that way-fine, if you like it a little softer it may need more time.

2. The addition of EVOO and the sprinkling of seasoning did nothing for the flavor, in fact, all it did do was make the outer leaves inedible.

3. The inner part of the cabbage was very tender and flavorful and you could take a spoon and spoon out the melted butter and onions and bacon bits onto the cabbage, very good.

4. I used 3 chunks of pecan wood.

5. Making the foil ring is absolutely necessary, makes for a very stable base.

Any other questions just fire them at me. I'm making cabbage soup tomorrow with the leftovers.

Ah grasshopper, you've learned well!

Or, in case you DIDN'T pick the smoked cabbage idea up from me, isn't it good anyway???

Why were the outer leaves inedible? Were they tough, or did the olive oil do strange things to them?

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
(and doing two all-night packers on a work night as stress relief...)

Bren,

A 20 pound bag of lump costs me about $8.50 American.

Keri,

We all got the idea from you, YOU ARE THE TEACHER, the outer leaves were kind of rubbery and the seasoning just was kind of sitting on them and it was really salty. It was good though. Thank you!!!!
icon_wink.gif

Rob O,

I initially poke holes into the foil around the top of the cabbage head with a fork. The smoke flavor was very faint. I was told, however, that cabbage picks up smoke very easily and can be oversmoked, so I wasn't looking for much smoke flavor anyways.

looks great Bruce, not at all like one of those 'Alien pods'
icon_wink.gif

Can you describe the texture? I like sauerkraut, but I don't like boiled cabbage or the cabbage on cabbage rolls, though I love the filling ....

I'm gonna have to make one, just wondering what to expect ...

Bruce, that looks awesome to me. My to do list gets bigger everytime I get on this site. But thats a good thing. One of these days I am going to be able to post pics. Probably when pigs fly.
Dp

Shawn,

Well it's definetly not liked boiled cabbage and it's not as soft and pliable as cabbage rolls. It's not wimpy at all, by any means. It retains it's cabbage shape and is cooked yet has some crunch to the tooth. I liked it the wife thought it needed to be cooked more.

Bruce,
Couldn't look at your pictures. The company's web blocker censored it saying it was "tasteless". Come on buddy... fess up. What other kind of pictures you got stored there?
icon_eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back