Smoked Butts

M Menendez

TVWBB Fan
OK, guys I think I have done over 10 butts now so it is not so much the cooking I need advise with but the sauce.

I am looking for a good red sauce to use on my smoked butts.

My better half and everyone one who has tried my butts really likes them but me and I think it is because I have not found the right sauce. Also I feel I am a little bit over whelmed with the smoke by the end of a 12 -18 hr smoke.

Thanks
Mike

Mike, Steve Petrone and others have posted some great sauces in the sauce, recipe section on this forum. I love his vinegar sauces and you can tweek them to get what you want

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Mike, Steve Petrone and others have posted some great sauces in the rub, marinade & sauce, section on this forum. I love his vinegar sauces and you can tweek them to get what you want </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are so correct. The pulled pork is so much better when you have been away from the smoker for a day. You can taste the smoke again. I am amazed at how much smokier the product is in the mouth.

For a qick sauce, find a cheap bottle of bbq sauce in the store (one that does not have liqued smoke). Pour the bottle in the saucpan. Fill the bottle one third each honey, balsamic vineger, water. Puor in to saucpan. Add juice of half lemon, nutmeg, clove and red pepper to taste. Just heat. It will be runny/saucy. You can thicken it if you like (it becomes a nice honey bbq sauce if you condense it far enough). You can put a couple of tablespoons of mustard in as a variation.

Not fancy, but people love it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M Menendez: Also I feel I am a little bit over whelmed with the smoke by the end of a 12 -18 hr smoke.
Thanks
Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Mike,
I can't really help much on the sauce question. when I do use sauce for butts I tend to go with a vinegar sauce.
But as for the smoke (over)exposure, I've noticed this as well. I have found that it helps me a bit to take a shower and change clothes while the butt is resting. Cleansing your palate with your beverage of choice doesn't hurt either. Once you don't reek of smoke, or have the taste of smoke already in your mouth, the finished butt tastes much better.
Just my 2 cents.

Jim
--

Back